Ch. 23

I was filled with rage. My first goal was to leave Geneva forever. I got together a large sum of money, and left home. I wandered all over, nearly dying many times. Revenge kept me alive, I needed to kill the beast. I needed to track him, but I did not know where to start. I found myself in the graveyard where William, Elizabeth, and my father rested. I found their graves. I knelt down, and promised to them not to rest until I had avenged their deaths. Suddenly, I heard a fiendish laugh. Then, the monster's voice whispered in my ear "I am glad to intend to live, so that I may make you all the more miserable!" I turned to face him, but he was fleeing. I chased him, and have been chasing him for several months. 

I ate little, mostly wild game. I pursued the monster endlessly, and I should have fallen. But the memories of William, my father, Justine, and dear Elizabeth drove me forward. My promise to them gave me energy and life. The demon left me notes in trees, telling me that he still lived, and that he was going to the great north. I traveled north, through snow, ice, driving winds, and horrible cold. 

I bought a sled and a team of dogs, and I tracked him down at great speed. I saw him one day crossing the ocean which was frozen. I followed him, but the conditions were terrible. Many of my dogs died, from the cold, or from the intense work which I asked of them. Suddenly, the ice cracked and I was left stranded, separated from my enemy. I created oars, and steered myself toward your ship. 

If I should die, and you see the fiend, kill him. Not for me, but for William, Justine, Clerval, Elizabeth, and my father. 

(this ends Victor Frankenstein's story. Walton is finishing his letter to his sister, Margaret)

You have read this terrible story, Margaret. Does it strike fear into your heart like it strikes fear into mine Sometimes, Victor was seized with agony, his voice breaking. Other times, he seemed light, happy to have another person hear his tale. I have the letters from Felix and Safie, and his story rings true. I asked him once about how exactly the fiend was created, but he seemed sure that it would only cause me pain to know. He said the secret must die with him. I feel so bad for him, I want to make him feel better, but I do not know how. 

He stayed focused, however, on killing the monster, on fulfilling his destiny. 

September 2nd

Dear sister, 

I fear that this may be my last letter. The ship is surrounded by ice, from which there is no possible escape. The crew looks to me for direction, but I can offer none. Margaret, please remember me if I should die, after all, I will always remember you.

September 5th

A strange event happened. Even though you most likely will never get these papers, I must write it down. We are still surrounded by ice. We are very cold. My guest seems quite ill, though fire burns in his eyes. A group of sailors came into my cabin. They demanded that if the ship were to be freed, that we head directly home. I did not answer at first. Frankenstein spoke to them. He said that it would be shameful to return home. That honor was in hard times, and that the difficulty was what made the journey. I told the men that whatever they decided I would honor. 

September 7th

The men have decided, if the ice breaks up, we will return home. I am disappointed, but I will honor their decision. 

September 12th

The ice broke. We are heading home. Frankenstein is sick. I spoke to the surgeon, who said that he would be dead in hours. In his death, he asked me to consider completing his life's goal. He passed away quietly. I left to contemplate. When I reentered the chamber, the fiend was standing above him. When he saw me, he sprung towards the window. He exclaimed "He is my victim! In his death my crimes are consummated. Can I ask you to forgive me?" His voice seemed suffocated. My first impulse was to kill this fiend, but not I was curious and compassionate, but he was so very ugly. 

I attempted to speak "Your apology is too late. If you truly cared about him, you would not of killed his friends and lover."

"Do you think I am dead in feeling? The pain he felt was but a small portion of what I felt. I hated killing. After murdering Clerval, I returned to Switzerland. I pitied Frankenstein, and I hated myself. But I discovered that he was out, having fun! I became bitter and enraged. So I killed Elizabeth. But as soon as she died, I felt again remorseful. He is my last victim!"

At first I felt pity for him, but I remembered Frankenstein's story. "Wretch!" I exclaimed "Why are you here? You burn down your house, and find sadness in the ashes!"

"You are wrong. I am content to suffer, and when I die, I am happy and satisfied. I have given up hope to be happy again. I am alone. You, who call Frankenstein your friend, seem to know a lot about our past. But you cannot know the torture I went through. Yet, I am a wretch, I have murdered the innocent. I hate myself. I will leave this ship, find the most remote corner of the north, and die there."

He leapt from the ship, never to be seen again.