Toshizo Hijikata x reader (Goodbye, My Love)

Hair colour: (H/C)

Eye colour: (E/C)

Your name: (Y/N)

(Your pov)

Being the only female in legion of men in the established Shinsengumi had been a rough patch for (y/n) but nobody dared to raised a finger at you because of the Oni Vice Commander. Finally, those men whom had once look down on you had grudging respect because of your undying support and also not backing away from your duty no matter how predicament the situation would be at that moment.

Shinsengumi was your pride and joy but another reason you had joined the eligible corps had also been for your childhood friend-Toshizo Hijikata. Your heart had only beat for one man ever since you knew what the word "love" meant but in secrecy; the both of you were close causing a few tongues to waggle. Expect for your other best friends that you have acquired here in the headquarters, they had taken you under their wings.

But all of that was before Yukimura Chizuru entered inside the picture, the distance between you and Hijikata had grown tremendously. Watching the raven haired man from the distance as the young girl tagged along behind him and the same goes to the rest of the besotted captains. You never hated the bubbly female, she was also a supporter of Shinsengumi; that cannot be brushed off easily.

Everyday the pain grew in your heart whenever laughter floated between Hijikata and Chizuru, once long ago it was the same for you. To shrug off the void left in your soul, you took on jobs sometimes staying away for a day or so when one day you were called in Toshizo's office feeling slightly nervous you ventured into the cozy room.

"(Y/n) chan, I have a job assigned for you."

You sat in front of the man whom once were inseparable but now he had withdrawn even keeping eye contact in minimal. Yukimura sat near the table dotingly, she had earlier came in with a set of tea but you simply ignored the offer.

"What is it, sir?" your voice was monotonous.

Why are you avoiding me? ever since Yukimura Chizuru came tumbling into the Shinsengumi headquarters, you soon started to forget that I exist. The shock radiating throughout my system when the other captains pitched in to literally shove Yukimura san to be your personal apprentice, you mentally wept.

"(Y/n) chan?" his tone reeled you back into reality. "(Y/n) chan! I expect your full attention, you know I do not tolerate soldiers who ignore their Commander's order."

Hot blush spread across your cheeks when Toshizo chided as if you were a mere babe as this was not the first time he had raised his voice but tonight it seemed rather harsh.

"S-sorry, sir! forgive me." You bowed, "I heard your every word, I am to be send as a guard for our emperor."

"Good," he nodded. "Make me proud, (y/n) chan."

Your (e/c) eyes shot up to stare at him momentarily, for some reason Toshizo's tone was soft as if those words caressed your skin but mentally shrugging off. Soon, you were on your way to start a new job waving at your comrades farewell even Yukimura sobbed yelling out good fortunes your way.

Two years later. -Play the Song-

Standing near the entrance, your attention was at rapt staring into the dark looking for any movements. Ever since the first day of your job as a faithful guard, this has been your daily routine and your post had given a raise. The emperor had taken a liking at you due to your commitment and not once complaining about your given duty; letters of appreciation was sent to the Shinsengumi headquarters.