The Search Begins

Chapter 58

Amari woke up in a jolt. Her breathing was heavy having remembered the last thing that happened to her. She looked around the room she was in, calming down. Her fear turned into curiosity. She felt soft fabric between her fingers and realized she was laying on a bed. A lamp in the corner of the room was on but no where else.

"Where am I?" Amari wondered out loud.

She looked back around the room. It was nice and normal. Like a decent hotel room. Amari stood from the bed cautiously. She checked herself over for anything that might have been wrong but nothing was wrong. She was perfectly fine.. She did notice how Anthony took most of her equipment though but other than that he had not hurt her or anything.

Amari heard her radio crackle and then heard Caden's voice.

"Amari?" He asked.

She let out a shaky breath relieved to hear him alive. She lifted her hand to reply but she touched her ear. Anthony took her earpiece. That dread in her heart was beginning to build again.

"If you can hear me I need to know your ok." He sounded sad which made Amari sad too.

"I'm alright!" Amari shouted, hoping wherever he was he could hear her, but he could not, and she may not even be in the same building anymore.

"I've never said it but I'm sorry Mari. I'm so so sorry about how I firstly treated you. I had no right. I would take it all back if I could because you're not like my other partners. I need you to be ok." Amari sat back on the bed for a minute.

She cried and she could hear Caden cry on the other end of her radio. She took it off her belt and held it in her hands. It had no mic on it, it was basically just a speaker, the only reason they carry it is because it's the thing that connects all earpieces together. She held it aginst her chest as if she was hugging Caden. She felt alone knowing he did not know where she was. She did not even know where she was.

"I know you can get out of this so wherever you are you need to give me a sign, anything! Just don't give up on me." The radio went silent again.

"You're strong. It's in your name remember?" Amari smiled but cried even harder. She just wanted to hug him right now. She just wanted to be at home.

"I'm sorry Rogers." Dave told him.

Then she heard a click of him signing off. Then another and she knew that was Caden signing off. She really was alone now.

Amari hooked her radio back on her belt and put her hands to her face crying. She wiped her eyes but more tears took the place of the ones she wiped away. She kept rubbing at her eyes till she made herself stop crying.

"Pull yourself together Amari!" She yelled at herself.

She stood from the bed and looked around more clearly. Anthony took everything but her radio. He must have known she could not contact anyone with it. That guy was to smart. She walked over to a door. Locked, of course, but she's an ARRO agent. She took a step back and then swung her foot at the door, hitting it in just the right spot. She kicked the door open and then walked out in the hallway.

It looked like all the other floors had earlier. She was still in the same building. Amari felt a wave of relief and thought about screaming again to see if Caden could hear her but the thought of Anthony possibly still being around kept her from doing so. She had to find Caden.

She saw an elevator but it's power was down so the screen that normally showed what floor she was on was now black. The elevator doors were opened slightly so she turned on her flashlight and peaked in carefully. Rubble and wires was all she could see. It was the elevator that broke on them. She was on the bottom floor..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The more he thought about the danger Amari was in, the more he thought about Anthony knowing exactly where she was, the more Caden thought about the fact Amari could be dead, the less he was able to stand around waiting for backup or new orders.

Caden could not live with just assuming she was dead. He could not live not knowing. Just the slight possibility that if she was alive and he left, he would be leaving her with Anthony. If anything he had to find out for sure if she was dead. No matter what the outcome was. That meant looking for her. Caden thought about informing Anderson but he knew Anderson would tell him to wait for backup. He could not wait. Every second that passes could be critical for Amari and Caden hated he had already wasted so much time just standing around.

He started on the floor he was on and he would work his way down, slowly but surely. Caden was not finding anything so far. Just room after room of files and desks. None of them seemed to be ARRO files but honestly Caden was not checking to see.

In some weird way this whole place reminded Caden of an underground office building, just with no workers. Every now and then Caden would come across different types of rooms and even bedrooms at times. This place was weird. He changed his mind about the office building thing. It was like everything down here should have been in the mansion that was falling apart upstairs. It was like instead of rebuilding the house above ground they built another underground. Caden still felt that was not the answer; So what was this place built for?

Amari is alive but not completely safe yet! Anthony is still somewhere in the building so who do you think will find her first? Comment to let me know! Vote if you liked the chapter.