Familiar Faces

Chapter 16

It wasn't the greatest start to the morning. They weren't allowed back on the search team today and Caden could tell that really effected Tammy's mood.

The only reason why was because they had enough people and needed Caden to be ready to accept harder missions today. It was Friday and Fridays are normally busy.

Caden asked Anderson about yesterday and how the search went then but he was informed that they found no new leads. He wasn't about to tell Tammy that though.

Caden was sitting in his office like any normal day ready to answer any call. Tammy wasn't here so he got kinda board. He figured she was in her office today and he was slightly hoping she was. He left her a note on her desk saying, *Happy Friday* with 99$ on top of that.

Surly she didn't really think he was going to take that painting for one dollar. So he thought if she wouldn't accept it that way he would just have to give her the rest as a "gift".

He pulled out his phone and began browsing through the store for games.

He was allowed to do whatever he wanted as he waited as long as he was ready to answer a call. So he wouldn't get in trouble for playing on his phone. No games were of interest to Caden though so he gave up his search.

Then there was a knock at his door.

"It's open!" He told the person.

The door opened and Tammy walked in with her usual warm smile.

"What is this?" She asked, holding out the stack of bills for him to see.

She didn't sound annoyed and she didn't look it either, but there was sternness in her voice.

He looked at the money then back at her with a serious expression.

"That my dear I believe is a stack of dollar bills that amount to ninety nine dollars." He gave a sarcastic response.

She giggled at him but tried to remain serious as well.

"I mean why did you give it to me?" She asked.

"I told you Happy Friday." Caden told her.

Tammy placed one hand on her hip and gave him a disbelieving look. She knew good and well what he was trying to do though she had to admit she thought it was sweet.

"Thanks Caden." Tammy said, now taking a seat.

She pocketed her money and for the first time Caden noticed she was wearing a ring.

It had a gold frame to it and an emerald set in the middle.

"Your ring is pretty." He complimented.

Tammy perked up and smiled even brighter.

"Thank you! I wear it to work every day!" Tammy informed.

He didn't get why she would risk losing it. A thought crossed his mind and as soon as it did Tammy basically confirmed.

"Do you believe in good luck charms?" Tammy asked.

It grew silent.

He thought about it. He thought about Victoria and her necklace but he had to remind himself that what happened to her could have happened to anyone.

"Sure." His answer was hesitant.

Really Tammy wasn't sure if she believed in it either and Caden was starting to doubt. It was just a small gesture or reminder as to why to keep safe. They knew an object alone couldn't actually keep someone safe.