A Thing Called Jealousy

Chapter 51

Caden was looking around for his keys like normal. He told Amari to meet him at his apartment and of course he could not find his keys today. Maybe they could take Amari's car? Then again he still needs to lock his door.

*Knock* *Knock* *Knock*

"Come in!" Caden said, bending down to look under his couch. 

He heard his door open and when he looked under the couch he could see Amari's black combat boots on the other side. Well the keys were not there so he stood up. His partner stood there smiling and he smiled back. For some reason seeing her made his stress fade away.

"Lost something Caden?" Amari wondered.

He sighed.

"Sorta. I know it's around here somewhere!" Caden was positive, glancing around the room once again.

He just noticed the bag in Amari's hand.

"Your keys I presume?" Amari asked.

Caden nodded knowing it was not that big of a surprise. Most people did know he keeps horrible track of his keys. She pulled something out of the bag. In a short explanation, it was a piece of wood with a few hooks in it. A price tag sticker still on it.

"Hang this on your wall. Then every time you come home place your keys on it. It may be hard to remember at first but do it enough and it will become a routine." Amari explained.

Caden smiled and he did not know why. Why did it make him happy to see her trying to help him? Amari looked behind the couch cushions from the side she was one for him.

"Would you look here." Amari said, reaching behind his couch cushion. She pulled out his familiar set of keys.

"Thanks Amari." He told her gratefully.

She offered a smile in response. She could not help but look around his apartment. She had never been to his apartment before now. His kitchen was easily noticeable from his living room.

"You have a coffeepot." Amari noted.

"Yeah, you want some coffee?" Caden asked her, thinking nothing of it.

"No thank you." Amari just did not know he had one.

Everyday since they had coffee that one time he has paid and brought her a cup every morning. Then he would accept one from her as well. He could have just made his own at his house and saved money but he did not. He must have just liked having morning coffee with her. Amari smiled at the thought.

"I'm going to go hang this on my wall." Caden informed.

He walked down his hallway to find a hammer and nail. When Caden came back and hung it on the wall, he found Amari staring at the painting in his living room. Caden approached her and they stood side by side not saying a word while they looked at it. He still remembered Tammy standing besides him when she helped him put it up.

"It's a beautiful painting." Amari complimented.

"Thanks." Caden said but he did not smile.

Truthfully he has walked past this painting many times without ever glancing at it and for awhile he sorta forgot it was even there. This was the only painting Tammy ever sold. Why did that make his heart ache? She had such a long life ahead of her.

"Can we, uh, go?" Caden asked, hoping she would not ask about it.

Amari looked over at him catching onto his tone.