Everyone is Different

Chapter 32

It was Tuesday. Still near the start of the week. Samantha still has not had her first real mission. If you asked him two years ago Caden would have told you he felt bad they have not had a real mission yet, but as of right now he was not complaining that Samantha was not in a dangerous situation.

Samantha did not seem to mind either. She had a lot of patience, more so than any of his other partners has had. It was almost strange how different all his partner had been. Victoria was mature and had a smart outlook on life. Tammy was silly and fun-spirited and still had a bit of growing up to do. Valerie was a sore subject now and he still loved whatever good it was he saw in her, she could be nice to Caden but to others Valerie was selfish. Then there was Samantha; She is easy-going and timid and shy.

It's true every person has a different personality but just exactly how different his partners had been is what made it strange. They were all complete opposites of each other.

It was late afternoon, the sun would be going down soon, but somehow Caden had a feeling the phone would ring and they would have a mission. He really did not like missions at night. Bad things just tended to happen.

Caden turned around in his office chair to look out the window behind him. The sky was a beautiful mixture of red, orange, and yellow. The clouds looked purple and the sun was barely to be seen over the top of a building.

Caden relaxed for a minute enjoying the nice view. The sun may set every day but it does not always set in such a beautiful way.

Then the peaceful moment was interrupted by his office phone ringing. Of course they had a mission. He knew it would happen. Caden spun back around and picked up his phone.

"Rogers." He answered formally.

Strangely it was Dave calling this time instead of Anderson. Normally Caden only heard from Dave while on missions not normally before. Anderson must have just been busy or something. At least Caden was trying to tell himself that. A part of him felt maybe Anderson was still mad about their argument over him having another partner. With that thought Caden frowned, making Samantha think there was something wrong with the mission itself.

Caden listened to the mission details and confirmed that he understood. He heard the ping of his phone receiving the information in a file in case for some reason he could not remember something he needed too. With that he told Dave goodbye and hung up.

"Everything ok?" Samantha asked, noticing his upset expression never faded.

"Yeah, we have a mission. You ready?" He asked. It had completely slipped his mind that this was her first mission that was not cat related.

"Yeah. You sure your ok?" Samantha asked again. She really was prepared for her first mission but it bothered her to see that upset look in his eyes.

"I'm fine, I just don't like missions at night." He used that as his excuse but Samantha was not buying it.

She knew something else was bothering him but if he did not want to admit whatever it was then she was not going to pry.

They both went down to the armory and the only sign that Samantha had never been on a mission before was that she did not know what weapon was better than the other, so Caden helped her out.

Samantha was meant to be a medic anyway. She might have not been on a team like firstly intended but her rank as medic has not gone away. She had different extra medical supplies to go along with what she already had. All medics did.

They headed to the helipad on the roof like always to be greeted by a brand new helicopter. They got inside to see a familiar pilot looked extra happy.