Only One Way To Go

Chapter 54

Caden seemed to be driving slower than he normally would on a mission. Amari just had to be here didn't she? Caden would give anything if she would just go home. Of course this place had to be in the middle of nowhere too and Caden could not think of anything except the things that could go wrong. Way out here no one could get to Amari in time if something happened to her. It's on him to keep her safe. No second chances about it..

Caden could not let her end up like everyone else. Amari was not like everyone else.

The place was made of old black wood and tress hanging over the roof. A tree had fallen and caved in the right side of the roof. The place looks as if it had not been touched in ages but yet the lawn was well kept. It was green and short and had a fountain in the middle. It did not fit right at all.

*Why would someone keep up with the lawn but not the house?* Caden wondered.

It had at least two floors and an attic. It was pitch black inside. Amari walked forward with him on the nice driveway. He noticed how she kept her eyes on the lawn. She must have noticed too. She acted like she wanted to say something but she never spoke. When they stepped on the porch it creaked loudly. The boards slightly bending under their weight.

Caden pushed on the door lightly and it opened. All the wood in this house was slowly rotting away and just an ounce too many and Caden was sure the whole floor would cave. They both cautiously walked into the house. It looked no better on the inside then it did out. He just wanted to get in, get out, then go home.

They walked around slowly for a bit and then they both ended up in the kitchen. They shined their flashlights around the room when they both began to feel a sinking feeling. They looked at each other at first, confused by it. It felt like they were standing in quicksand. Soon enough they looked down at the floor to see the old tile floor sinking into the ground.

Neither agent could think fast enough and when their mind finally registered what was happening it was to late. The floor had completely fallen and everything went dark.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amari was first to wake up. She was laying face first on a brand new floor. Shiny and golden colored.

She sat up and looked back and forth around the place. The old tile and dirt laid about but what was odd was where they were now. The place was brightly lit. They seemed to have fallen into a hallway.

Amari stood up completely and looked around for Caden. He was gone. Did he wake up and leave her here? Amari did not want to assume that. She had no idea where he could be though.

How far did they fall? She had a few scrapes and bruises but nothing felt broken.

She picked up her flashlight and hooked it back into her belt. The flashlight was already off. She assumed the fall must have done it. She then looked down the hallway.

Only one way to go...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caden woke up on his back. Bright lights blinded his eyes. Lights? He did not understand they were in complete darkness a second ago.

Caden sat up ignoring the pain in his back. His back hurt but nothing felt broken. At first he looked up at the hole in the ceiling to see the darkness above that he last remembered. Then he looked at the hallway he was in.

Firstly there was rubble from the old tile floor above and then obviously the dirt that would have been in between. The rest of the hallway looked like the hallway of a newly built mansion. The tile floor was shiny and silver colored.

Then his thoughts landed on the last person he was with.

"Amari?" He called softly.

Not knowing where he was he did not want to risk attracting any attention. Then again he was sure the ceiling caving in would have already made plenty of noise.

He looked around for her realizing she was not here. Caden did not want to believe she would leave without trying to wake him up. Maybe she just saw something that caught her eye and went to investigate. Surely that is what happened.

Caden knew his partner and knows she would not flat out try to leave without him. He leaned over to grab his flashlight and turned it off to save the battery. He stood to his feet staring down the fancy hallway.

Only one way to go...

Cliffhanger! Sorry this was a short chapter but the ending chapters might be a little shorter than normal.. That's right ending chapters! There is only eight chapters left (not counting the epilogue or authors note)! How do you think Amari and Caden both woke up in different places? Comment to let me know and vote if you liked it!