"Ooh light skin babies"

Annick

"Good evening neighbor!"

I turned my head to see Brazil smirking at me from her balcony.

"What do you want?" I mumbled.

"What's the matter? Was it your date last night?" She asked.

I sighed.

"He thought I was being fake."

"How?" Brazil asked.

"He refused to believe that a sistah was actually in law school."

"Did he really say that?"

I nodded.

"Then what happened?" She asked.

"He said he was going to the bathroom...and he left me sitting there like an idiot."

"You had to pay the bill yourself?"

"Fortunately no. The owner noticed my situation and put it on the house."

She gasped.

"I'm telling Miciah!" She said.

"Tell Miciah what?" I looked to the left to see Miciah poking her head out from inside her apartment.

"Nothing." I mumbled.

"Oh you mean that her sad excuse of a date ditched her." Daysia said as she walked in.

"Give us one minute! We're coming over."

They both disappeared into the apartment.

I turned my attention back to the evening sky.

"Wanna talk about it?"

"No, I've had a long day at work and school and I just wanna clear last night from my mind."

"You'll be fine, Annick." Brazil and Miciah walked out in our balcony.

"No I won't. I just don't get why black dudes be looking down at the females of their race. Maybe he was mad that I was a lawyer cause' his criminal looking ass can't-"

"Calm down, okay? This has happened to all of us before. Especially you, little girl. You know what my solution is?"

"Stop dating men?" I mumbled.

The girls all stared at me.

"It was a joke!" I whined.

"Anyways, the solution will be resolved tonight when we go pay my boss a visit."

I cringed.

"Your boss looks like Christian Grey. I don't think I like where this would go."

Miciah flicked me on the side of my head.

"Your fingers are so ashy, that didn't even hurt." I shot back.

"Guys shut up and let me talk. Being my fine self, my boss wanted me to help him with his new reality show. His words exactly were to bring the three finest sistahs I know."

"He said that?" I asked looking disgusted.

"No but he said he needed four African American girls for this show."

"Thanks but I'll pass." I said.

"I wasn't asking you I was telling you." Brazil said.

"Is that supposed to scare me?" I asked.

"It depends...are you scared?"

"No." I said flatly.

"Well then no. But come on, Annick! This is the opportunity of a-"

"I'll do it." I shrugged.

"Really?" She asked surprised at my response.

"Yeah. When do we meet him?"

"We're meeting with him tonight and y'all gotta look classy. Mmkay?"

We all nodded.

~

I sighed as I stepped out the steamy bathroom.

I put on my undergarments and slid off my flowered shower cap.

After putting lotion on I went into my closer and pulled out my dark lavender above the knee pencil skirt and my brown long sleeved crop top.

I slid on my black Saint Laurent Jane Sandals and sprayed the nearest bottle of perfume.

I tied my hair into a bun and walked out of my room to go meet the girls that were already dressed.

"Damn!" Brazil said.

"Aye you coming in here looking all dressed up." Miciah said dancing over to me.

I rolled my eyes, hiding my smirk.

"Let's just go. My booty isn't getting any bigger." I said making the girls burst into a fit of cheers.

~

"Alright, now when you approach him, don't slouch." Brazil said glancing at me, making me roll my eyes.

"Walk straight and move your hips. Make him at least slightly intimidated."

I sighed.

"I'm scared now." I said.

"Don't be. Just follow my rules and you'll be fine."

Brazil smoothed out her skirt and rang the bell of the mansion.

About a minute later, the door was opened and there stood Brazil's boss, one of the most intimidating men in Toronto, John Thompson.

"Brazil, girls. It's wonderful for you all to come meet me today." He said moving to the side and letting us all in.

~

"So I'm hoping Brazil already explained what I wanted from you beautiful ladies?"

We all nodded.

"Alright. Now hopefully you're all single and willing to take up my offer." He said with a very persuading grin.

"What's this show going to be about?" I asked.

"My thirteen year old came to me other day and told me about how all the other girls are giving her a hard time because she decided to "date" a white classmate of hers."

I was a bit confused until I noticed that behind where he wad sitting, there was a photo oh James with a black woman by his side and in their arms, a light brown toddler.

"My intention is to create...diversity in relationships. You girls are going to be put into a mansion with men of many different races, besides black."

"Ooh light skin babies." Daysia said making everyone giggle.

"Now all I need to know if you girls are in."

"Just like that? No contract?" I asked.

He set his hand on the piece of paper that was beside him and slid it over to me, along with a pen.

"You can be the first to sign."

I sassily picked up the contract and began reading over it.

"What are you doing? You're supposed to be signing it." Miciah said.

"I'm reading it."

James chuckled.

"Let me guess. The lawyer?"

"Soon to be. UTFL. Fielding in family and juvenile law."

He grinned as he nodded.

"Yeah. The media is gonna love you."