Ch 18.5 - Interlude - Lauren's POV

Lauren's POV

//

"Wait, so let me get this right..."

Stephen purses his lips, staring at me with slitted eyes. "The two of you got into a bar fight with some random men, over a spilled drink?"

I glance over guiltily at Nikki, who has an ice pack over her eye, and look back at Stephen, answering, "Yup, bunch of jerks."

Stephen rolls his eyes, and takes a deep breath. "One, you're both terrible liars; two, you're lucky as shit, because Billboard had to re-schedule your photoshoot to next month, and cover your opening night on tour instead."

I breathe a sigh of relief, because I know that missing such an important booking is a big deal for a new band.

I grab another wet napkin off the pile I've accumulated in front of me, and wipe my swollen lip with it.

I wince a bit, feeling the sting spread through my face. I still can't believe that we actually got into a fistfight this morning.

In front of Camila, of all people; not to mention, I accidentally elbowed her in the process.

How fucking embarrassing is that?

I look over at Nikki, and she's looking a bit smug, even though she looks much worse than I do.

For a moment, I let myself fantasize about jumping across this table and laying another smack across her face, but my brain's just caught up to Stephen's words.

"Hold on," I say, "Did you say tour?"

I glance at Nikki, and she has the same bewildered look I must have on too.

With an impatient sigh, Stephen nods, and says, "Yes, Will and I worked it out this morning. So you guys are opening for Fifth Harmony--"

"What?" The word came out as a whisper, as if saying it too loudly would make him take it back.

Stephen nods again, as if it's the most obvious thing in the world.

I feel my fingers begin to tingle, because this is perfect.

Going on tour is exactly what I need to remind Camila of how amazing we were together.

The little spark of hope in me begins to flicker into life, despite my immediate reflex to control and lower my expectations.

"When exactly are we going?" Nikki asks.

Fuck, of course. I forgot for a brief moment that Nikki's tagging along, and my excitement dampens a bit.

I can't control the annoyed look I throw her away, and she returns a blank stare, shaking her head at the same time.

Stephen coughs, breaking the death stares Nikki and I had going on, and he continues, "Exactly a month from tomorrow."

He then purses his lips, and adds, "We don't have a lot going on until then, so I suggest that you two figure things out, before you both mess it up for the entire band."

Stephen leaves it at that, and exits the room, leaving Nikki and I alone in awkward silence.

After a few more uncomfortable seconds, I get up, and almost make it to the door, until Nikki stops me to say something.

"Wait, Laur."

I take a deep breath, before turning back to her. "What do you want, Nikki?"

Nikki ignores my clipped tone, and says, "Stephen's right."

She makes a good point, but it doesn't mean I have to agree with her.

It also doesn't mean that I'm going to let her feel like she's the one taking the high road either.

Nikki takes my silence as agreement though anyway, and offers her hand to me, saying, "We don't have to be friends, but we also don't have to be actively trying to kill each other."

I stare at her open palm for a few seconds.

My jaw tightens, because I'm trying my best, not to get my anger get the best of me.

Instead of slapping this offer of a tentative truce away, I roughly clasp hands with her, and stare intently into her icy, blue eyes.

It's clear in the way that she's looking at me, that Nikki has no plans of backing off.

Her grip tightens, and I squeeze harder, in kind.

We didn't really need any words for this silent agreement.

Fine.

Game on, bitch.

//

A/N: Thanks for reading! Hope everyone's having a happy holidays. Next chapter will be up tomorrow! ❤️

Take care, Kyrie

Find me here:
- Wattpad: kyrie999
- Tumblr: lovve-fearlesssly