Ch 5

//

Lauren's downstairs.

Shit.

Ally's already at my door, and presses the button without even verifying who's standing there.

She has her phone in her hand, and I know that if I looked in her messages, the last one in there is from Lauren.

"I can't believe you guys!" I hear the distress in my own voice, and keep going. "I'm a fucking hot mess right now, she can't see me like this."

Ally goes into damage control mode, and gathers my flailing hands into hers. Her gentle voice kinda calms my panic a little bit. "I'm sorry, Mila, those two were supposed to sober you up..."

I throw Dinah and Normani an angry look, and Normani's the brave one who responds.

"Tequila?"

I don't really know what to say to that.

Even though it's a one word answer, I totally get it. It's one of those words that requires no context, only a knowing nod, and an 'aah, that makes sense'.

I give them a 'get out of jail free' card, because I can feel the seconds ticking away, and I can picture Lauren walking in and standing in the elevator now.

She probably looks ridiculously hot, and I look ridiculously smashed. Stupid hair of the freaking dog.

It's a countdown, and the ball is about to drop on my head.

I run through my possible escape paths like a mission impossible scene.

Ally's essentially blocking the only exit, and as much as I can imagine myself leap-frogging over her, I decide that maybe that's a bad idea.

The upstairs bedroom is out of the question, for obvious reasons; namely, the bed part of the room. I take a moment to shove away the thought of pushing Lauren into my bed, because that's definitely not part of the mission.

The living room/kitchen is already occupied by these jerks I used to call my friends, and they're eyeing me like they're ready to pounce.

This left only the terrace of freedom.

So before any of them can stop me, I rush past the kitchen and living room, slide open the door, step out, and slam it closed behind me.

I reach for the lock--

And motherf...

I'm doomed. Because I see Dinah on the other side of the glass door, and she has an evil, evil smile on her face.

Her fingers are already on the trigger, and she flips the lock with a sassy look and a hair flip.

She tilts her head, and shouts through the door with the sweetest of smiles, "Mila. Talk it out, fuck it out, I don't really care! Just, figure it out already!"

I curse my decision for picking this place because of the nice terrace and the view, and also, whoever decided that balconies can only be locked from the inside, can go to hell.

I don't even bother pleading with her to let me back in, because I'm too busy trying to smooth my messy hair, and gulp the fresh air down like it's going to sober me up.

I spot the large double lounger at the corner, and the blanket folded up nicely on it, and decide that yes, that is the perfect hiding place.

I'm under the covers in seconds, and my eyes are shut, since that obviously helps with the whole invisibility part.