Chapter 39- Remembering the Goodbye's.

Start from the beginning

“I want to stay like this forever.” I said with my eyes closed, breathing in his scent off his shirt.

“That would be pretty good, wouldn’t it? But unfortunately I have work at ten so you’ve only got me for approximately another-” he lifted up his wrist and looked at his watch, “nine and a half minutes.”  

“That’s not long enough,” I moaned, turning on my heels to face him.

His green eyes sparkled down at me as I stayed tucked up in his arms, my arms now making their way to his neck; my fingers running through his soft, damp, messy, blonde hair. I lent even closer to him, feeling his now minty breath, where he had just brushed his teeth, breathing onto my lips. I closed my eyes, just enjoying the feel of the warmth of his body touching mine, until I felt his warm lips gently touch mine, lingering there for a few seconds before leaving with a quiet smooching sound.

I opened my eyes to the sight of him smiling, his heart melting smile that gave me goosebumps every time I saw it. I looked at the way the corners of his mouth made two tiny dimples when he smiled. The shape of his pink lips, so perfect and identical to our little girl’s. They shared the exact same smile.

“You and Sammie have the same smile,” I grinned, touching his closed lips with the tip of my finger. “That makes it my favorite smile.”

The grin he wore got bigger, but as his eyes met with the clock on my kitchen wall, it dropped completely. A sigh escaped his lips.

“I have to go,” he whispered, pulling me closer into him.

“Be late,” I pecked his lips once, “Or say you’re sick,” And pecked them again, “Tell them you’ve got a family emergency,” And again.

Oliver kissed my cheek and looked at me apologetically, “any other day I would, but I have an important meeting today.”

“Oh, I guess I can let you leave then.”

I pulled him in for another hug, digging my head into the crook of his neck and leaving a soft kiss on his slightly visible chest.

“See you soon darling,” Oliver said into my hair.

We both pulled away and I waved him off from the front door, watching him reverse out of my drive and give me one last perfect smile before he disappeared onto the road.

[Flashback]

I gripped tightly onto the both of his hands, catching the tears on my sweater as they were constantly falling from my red, swollen eyes. This was the worst part of it all…saying goodbye. Every single time I had to do this, my heart would just break. Completely shatter. His family stood close by, watching as we exchanged sweet words and ready to comfort me when Oliver had left. Again. For the third time already this year. Maybe this was me being selfish, but why did he have to leave? I wanted him to stay here with me forever.

“Come back to me,” I sniffled, “When you’re out there, fighting, just think of me waiting for you at home and remember that I need you to come back to me.” He wiped the tears from underneath my eyes, “I beg you to come back to me,” I whispered.

The amount of soldiers I would hear about on the TV dying whilst fighting for our country just seemed to be increasing all the time. The thought of Oliver, my Oliver, being one of them just pained me so much. Sometimes I couldn’t deal with the pain it would hurt that much.

He pressed his forehead again mine, “That’s all I’ll be thinking about. Me and you. You’ll be back in my arms before you know it.”