Chapter 35- The Purfect Moment

The drive home was silent, but it wasn’t a bad silence. It was more of a peaceful silence. I was assured everything was going to be okay.   I had my head rested on the glass window, feeling my heavy eyes threatening to close shut. It took about five minutes until we were parked up inside Katy’s drive.

We entered her house in another silence, but as soon as I heard the front door close behind her, I hurried back into her arms. After a quick cuddle, Katy draped her arm over my shoulder and we walked into the living room. I sat across from Katy with my legs crossed, getting ready to tell her my reason for arguing with her those weeks ago. 

“Before you start,” Katy spoke as she took my hand in hers, “I just, I want to say how sorry I am for making you feel like this. I was hurt, just finding a way to forget everything that happened between us that day. I promise you I never wanted this to happen. I just needed space to clear my head, that’s all.” 

I do get what Katy’s saying. The past seventeen days were awful, not being able to talk to Katy or go and get in her bed at night if I couldn’t sleep. It’s made me realise that the plan I had wouldn’t have worked anyway. 

“I understand.” I sighed, taking a breath before I continued to tell her why I did what I did. “I can explain to you why I said those things, and I promise you that I didn’t mean any of it.” I gave her hand a slight squeeze. “You’re going to think I’m an absolute idiot when I tell you.” 

Katy shook her head, “I won’t.” 

Bless her. She’d do anything to try and make me feel better. 

I laughed a little, “Oh you will.” 

“Tell me.” 

I nodded my head and cleared my throat, “Well, you know when I uh…called you mom?” 

That upset look returned in Katy’s eyes, it’s supposed to be a good thing remembering your child calling you mom for the first time, but not in Katy’s case. What came after I called it her makes it an upsetting memory. 

“Mhm.” She replied confidently. 

“I was confused after I had said it. I guess I felt guilty.” I shrugged. 

Katy looked quite confused, she was rubbing my hand slowly in between hers. “Guilty? Why would you feel guilty?” 

“I felt guilty at the fact there’s a woman on the other side of America who I already address by that name. I can’t hurt her after everything she’s done for me. She didn’t have to raise me, but she did. Anyway, I thought in my mind that I had made a mistake calling you mom, and I was angry at myself for saying it. At that point, I took my anger out on you. That’s why I said you would always be ‘just Katy’. I was insensitive, and I’m sorry.” My voice was quieter than before, but I knew that I had to tell Katy the absolute truth, even if it made me feel as awful as I did when I did it. 

“I understand that, come here.” Katy leant forward with her arms open for a hug, but I leant back and pulled away. 

“I’m not done. None of that excuses the horrible things I said to you, but I can explain that too.” 

She placed her arms back in her lap and nodded for me to continue. 

“The look on your face when I called you mom, you looked so happy. Then I went and tore it all away from you and I hated myself for it. I didn’t want you thinking I was going to wake up the next morning calling you mom so I made it quite clear that it was a mistake…so that you didn’t expect me to. When we were on the stairs and, a-and I saw how upset you where, I knew it was all my fault. I couldn’t hurt you like that again.” I felt my bottom lip begin to quiver and my eyes fill up with tears.