Chapter 27- We'll Always Have The Memories.

I clenched my fists tight together, feeling the beads of sweat on the palms of my hands. The past couple of hours had been stressful and I didn’t even know how I was going to begin to tell Ste I was leaving Santa Barbara. It could end our relationship.

 My heart picked up speed at the sound of the doorbell ringing through the house. I took a deep breath and greeted Ste at the door, leading him up into my bedroom. 

“What’s the emergency?” He asked, linking both of his hands in mine. 

I sighed, but didn’t reply to his question, instead I just leant forward and hugged him tightly, taking in his scent as if it was the last time. 

“I’m not liking this.” I heard him mumble into my hair. 

I pulled away quickly and frowned, “I wont hug you then.” 

Before I got chance to take another breath, I felt his strong arms pull me back towards him. “I mean, I don’t like the way you’re acting. The way you were on the phone when you called me, the look on your face at the minute. It’s like you’re about to drop a big bombshell on me or something.” 

“Something like that.” I muttered, but it was clear enough for him to hear. 

Ste shuffled backwards and gripped firmly to my shoulders, giving me a questioning look. I didn’t even know where to begin.

“My mom and dad have been offered this amazing new job.” I began, fiddling with my thumbs and not making any eye contact. “It’s in Miami.”

It’s quite impossible to describe the look on his face after I spoke those three words. It was as if I could see into the future, and this relationship was about to end. 

“Miami.” Ste whispered, staring down at the floor. 

“Yeah, but I’m not going.” 

A look of relief took over his face, “You’re not?” 

“I haven’t told my parents yet, but I’m living with Katy in LA.” 

His hands dropped off my shoulders, and I felt a cold shiver as he walked away to sit on the end of my bed. 

“That’s better I suppose.” 

The upset in his voice was evident, and I just really didn’t know what was going through his mind. I slowly sat on the bed beside him and rested my hand firmly on his back. 

“Tell me what you’re thinking.” I whispered.

He just sat staring blankly into space for another couple of seconds, until eventually he took a breath. “I’m thinking what we have, is too darn good to throw away.” 

I smiled and lent my head against his shoulder, “Good, because I don’t want to lose you.” 

“You don’t have to. We’ll make it work, I promise.”  

                                  *****                                                 

“Mom, dad, I love you both so much but I’ve decided that…” No no no. I ran my hand through my hair and tried again. “The thing is, Miami is so far away, and LA is just down the road basically, but it doesn’t mean it’s because I love you any less.” 

Eugh this was so difficult. I had been pacing the kitchen for the past twenty minutes trying to think of a way to tell my parents I wasn’t living with them in Miami. It was too god damn hard. Katy offered to tell them for me yesterday, but I decided to just go to bed and tell them in the morning. Now that it was time to tell them, I was freaking out. I don’t want to upset them.