Chapter 13- This Can't Happen

[4 Weeks Later] 

I was sat at my desk in maths, it was Friday and the last lesson of the day  and I was exhausted. The teacher had been rambling on for the past hour about things I really didn’t understand, and I honestly thought I was about to fall asleep. 

  Ste had told me he was going to wait outside my class for me, which he did every day so we could walk home together. I hadn’t spoken to Katy for like the past week, her work was even crazier and she didn’t have the time. Disappointing I know but I tried not to let it bother me. 

  After what felt like hours, the school bell rang to dismiss the classes. I grabbed my bag from underneath the desk, said goodbye to a few friends, put my work book on the teacher’s desk and then headed out into the corridor. I scanned the hall looking for Ste, then I noticed him. He was stood talking to a girl in his grade, I knew who she was. Mia Danforth. She was one of the stuck up ones with bleach blonde hair and a skirt that was so short that it was pointless her wearing it, her younger brother Liam was in my grade. I awkwardly walked over to them and stood next to Ste. 

“Hey.” I said to him. He looked at me and smiled. 

My eyes diverted from Ste’s to look at Mia. She was stood with her arms folded giving me a huge dirty look, but then when Ste turned to look at her again she stopped.

“Oh hey! Mia I have to go,” Ste politely said to her. 

She moved closer to him and put her hand on his arm, she knew that I was watching her every move. 

“Wait before you go, do you want to do something later?” Mia asked him. 

We both looked at Ste awaiting an answer. I was really hoping he said no, he couldn’t get close to her. Not her. She was horrible, mean and way too up herself. Ste was lovely, funny…perfect. No way could he be with a girl like her. 

“I can’t sorry, I have plans with Sammie.” 

I frowned slightly as I tried to recall the plans we had made, but I couldn’t. When did we make plans? 

“Oh, erm okay. Maybe another time?” Mia asked, then moved her hand to his shoulder. 

Ste shuffled away and nodded his head, “Maybe.” 

Mia smiled, then flipped her hair over her shoulder and walked off. I linked my arm with Ste’s and we began walking out of the school doors. 

“We have plans tonight?” 

Ste laughed at my question, “Nope, but there’s no way I’m going out with her.” 

I let out a sigh of relief, “Thank goodness.” 

“Why’s that?” 

We were now walking down a long road leading to my street, our school was only a few minutes away from my house and then another two minute walk to his. He unlinked his arm and threw it over my shoulder. 

“I just- well…she’s just… you know,” I stuttered, trying cover the real reason I didn’t want him to go out with her. Truth is, I didn’t want him to date anyone. 

“What do you mean?” 

“Mia’s just not right for you…I don’t like her,” I admitted. I really didn’t want this conversation to go any further. 

“Nah me either.” 

We stopped outside my house, the car was parked in the drive so I knew my parents were home.