Chapter 9- A Proper Hudson Christmas

"Who is coming tomorrow?" I asked my mom as we walked through the front door. It was just over a week later and we had just got back from the hospital for a check up. They were pleased with my progress, my bruises and stitching had healed up well so there was no need for me to go back.

"Us and Grandma," She replied. 

"What about Katy? Her, Shannon and Markus usually come at Christmas," Katy flew back to LA a week ago, she had things to sort out, an album to record and work that needed doing, but she made sure she called me every single day. It was normal that Katy was checking up on me, never all my life has she gone longer than three days without calling me, but with everything that's happened she has become more protective and worries about me far too much. But I suppose if it helps her sleep at night, then fair enough. 

"I invited Her and John, and Shannon and Markus of course, I think John just wants it to be them two this Christmas though, but she said she would let me know on Christmas Eve whether she was coming." 

"It's Christmas Eve today," I reminded her as I flopped down on the sofa. I picked up the tv remote and began flicking through the movie channels, watching Christmas movies the day before Christmas always got me so much more excited!

"I know, she will probably call when she has free time, Katy said she's been really busy with work this past week." 

"Or with John," I mumbled quietly.

My mom popped her head around the door that separated the kitchen and dining room from the living room.

"Sorry hun, did you say something?" She asked. I knew that If i repeated my side comment, there would probably be a very high chance my mom would tell me how we had to accept John because that is what Katy would want. She was right I suppose, but there was just something about him that I really didn't like. Maybe it was the string of women he had previously dated, or the fact he's know as 'Mayer the Player' and I could just see Katy end up getting hurt. Markus agreed with me too, he thinks John's alright, but neither of us are 100% on him...let's not tell Katy that though.  John seemed to make her happy, which is what she deserves after everything she went through with Russell earlier this year,so I guess I'm willing to give him a chance. 

"Um, nope," I smiled. She returned the smile and then dissappeared into the kitchen. 

I clicked on the movie 'Elf' and sunk back into my chair.

One thing I loved about Christmas was being with family, it was the one day of the year that everyone made effort and we were all together. Last year was an unfortunate time for Katy, but her Shannon and Markus came and it was a proper Hudson Christmas. 

The movie had finished and I found myself slowly drifting off to sleep in my chair. I pulled myself up off the sofa and went to find my mom, expecting her to be doing preperations for Christmas tomorrow. 

"Mom?" I called out. 

Her voice replied back from the kitchen, "In here," 

I walked into the kitchen and found my mom holding her cell to her ear and talking to whoever was on the receiving end. 

"Oops sorry," I mimed to her. 

She shook her head and pulled the pone away for her ear, "It's fine, someone wants to speak to you anyway," My mom put the phone back to her hear and said to the person on the other end, "She's here now, I'll put her on so you can tell her." 'Tell her what' I thought.

My mom held out the phone, I took it out of her hand and then awkwardly said hello to the person. 

"Hiya love," the voice I instantly recognised greeted me.