Chapter 21- Escape

Chapter 21-

Try not to scream, try not to scream. Too late. My shrill cry is heard by not only Mark, but probably a lot more. His head whips around and Josephine's limp body falls to the floor. His cold black eyes pierce into my soul. He has the look of murder in his eyes. I'll be dead in minutes if I don't do anything. Quickly I race down the stairs and grab an old chair, placing it under the doorknob. It should hold him for a bit until I can escape. There's one window, but it's extremely small. Maybe I can fit through. Windows are my best friend when it comes to running away. I jump up on a filing cabinet and try pushing the window open. No use.

"Open the door you rat!" He yells banging on the door. I need a way out, and fast. I hop off the cabinet and run around searching for something. I can't find a single thing. As I'm looking around a pile of old stuff I trip over something. A paperweight! Someone somewhere is looking for me and making sure I survive today.

"Sorry Mark, but I've got somewhere to go!" I shout feeling a bit more daring. I throw the rock at the window using the small strength I have. It shatters, causing a load roar and increased banging from upstairs. Quickly, I scramble up the filing cabinet. The glass is dangerous and pointy, but I'll need to get through it as fast as I can. I stick my arm through. Good so far. my other arm makes its way through and my head is almost out. That's strange. The banging stopped. It's eerily quiet. I know any second something bad is going to happen. That's right when hands grasp my ankles tightly.

"Help!" I scream I agony as loud as I can as they pull me back through the window. My arms and head is cut on the glass while the hands pull me back.

"There's no one to help you little Miss Payne." Mark sneers. An axe is laying on the ground and he is holding my legs together tight. I pray that a neighbor heard and is coming. Otherwise I'm dead.

"Please let me go!" I shout louder trying to make my voice go through the window.

"Shhh....this needs to be quick and quiet so I can get out of here." Mark says, repositioning his arm around my neck. I look to the door to find out how far it is. The door is hacked off. "You wanna know what I used to chop off that door?" He asks. The axe. As I think it he goes down and grabs the axe. Mark places it just touching my neck, but not enough to cut me yet.

"This axe. You know what else I'm going to use it to do? I'm going to use it to hack off your pretty little head Miss Aileen." He smirks.

"Do it. I dare you." I taunt, but my voice comes out kind of squeaky.

"I like to play around before I kill." Mark tells.

"You, you've killed before?" I ask feeling a bit more scared.

"You just saw Josephine, she knew I was a cold blooded killer. Did you ever see your music teacher after you left? What was her name? I don't know or care, but she's dead now." He tells.

"You killed M-mrs. Pantela?" I ask the blood draining from my face.

"As soon as I heard you left she was the first I came after." He says.

"You're a horrid murderer." I spit.

"Oh yes little Aileen. I've killed before. You see, I kill all the time. I've killed so many souls it hardly matters to me anymore. I'm a serial killer if you haven't noticed by now. I've been on the run for years now. I kill a couple people then I move on." Mark shrugs. I can feel a coldness spread through my spine.

"I won't be added to your list!" I shout biting his arm. He is slightly startled and I kick him repeatedly before running back to the window. I use all my strength to pull myself up. Mark swings his axe and it grazes my leg, slicing the filing cabinet. I fall off balance from the blow and hear a loud crack as my arms hit the ground. My leg is bleeding heavy now. He swings his axe again and just barely misses my stomach. I start limping away as fast as I can to the door. My feet stumble and I fall on the ground. Luckily, Mark swung just before I hit the ground. Get up, get up Aileen! I urge myself to get up. Somehow I find the strength and pull myself up the steps. Mark is chopping at the stairs. I shove at the door. Locked. I need to think....

"Hey Mark!" I taunt, "Come and get me!" I stick out my tongue and hold my arms out. Just as he lowers the axe I move out of the way and the axe cuts off the doorknob.

"Thanks!" I say opening the door and closing it for more protection.

"You little-" His words are blocked off as I go my fastest to the front door. I can hear sirens coming from down the street. It makes me go faster to the door. I hear footsteps behind me. Mark is advancing. I struggle to work the lock shaking and I push it open.

"Help me!" I scream as I stumble onto the yard. My leg is dragging behind me, "Help!" People are coming out of their front doors. I can see the cop cars coming down the road. I can't walk any longer. I collapse on the front lawn panting, trying to breathe. I can just hold my head up.

"I'm coming for you!" Mark shouts. He bursts the front door open, completely ignoring the neighbors.

"No!" I scream as he brings the axe to my head. I roll just enough so that it hits the back of my head. A sharp pain shoots through my head and I scream in agony. The sirens are louder.

"Hands in the air!" I hear someone yell. There's shuffling and grunting. I can't tell what's going on. My vision is getting fuzzy.

"Get this girl to the hospital!" Someone commands. It's muffled and everything is getting a lot fuzzier. My head falls to the ground with a thud.

-

Theres probably only going to be one or two chapters left because I'm pretty much done with this story. I can't really think of anything else that can happen but I'll probably write an epilogue for closure or whatever.

Thanks bye :)