Chapter 9- Learn your place

Chapter 9-

"What are you doing in here?" He hisses grabbing my hand and pulling me out. He turns out the light. I've never seen him before.

"I'm doing what they said, it's initiation." I tell him turning to go back in.

"No, it's not. They're making a fool out of you. It's all a mean prank." He says.

"How would you know?" I ask pulling my arm away.

"They did the same to me." He says, putting his head down.

"What happened when you got out?" I ask.

"The janitor opened the door and sent me to the principal. They never came back to get me." He says.

"That's horrible!" I exclaim.

"Yeah. That's why I'm helping you. You don't want to end up like me." He says.

"Whats wrong with you? You seem nice." I say.

"Everything apparently. My hair is a messy wasteland, I smell like I haven't taken a shower in days, I'm weird, I'm too smart, I have four-eyes. According to everyone else." He says.

"You smell normal. Being too smart isn't bad at all. Glasses aren't something bad. And your hair looking clean." I tell him in attempts to make him feel better.

"We should go." He says looking up suddenly.

"Why?" I ask.

"In exactly 1 minute this hallway becomes a hellway." He says pulling me in the opposite direction, "What do you have next?" He asks.

"What period it this?" I question.

"Sixth." He says.

"Then I have lunch." I reply.

"So do I. I'll show you what to do and not to do then." He says pulling me down the blue locker hallway, "Get stuff from your locker." He says. I go to my own locker, having trouble with the lock. When I'm done I grab my lunch and head to the kids locker, when I realize something.

"What's your name?" I wonder.

"Brent." He says slamming the locker, "Brent Alden." He says offering his hand to shake.

"I'm Aileen, Payne. Aileen Payne." I tell shaking his hand.

"Is your dad from that famous boyband by any chance?" He asks.

"Yeah." I say.

"Then why aren't they worshiping the ground you walk on?" Brent questions. For some reason I laugh.

"I don't think they know." I admit.

"At least you're being treated like your normal. Come on. Let's make it to the lunch room." He says. The bell rings and I follow him to the large lunch room. He kind of dodges everyone and thing. I follow his lead. When we reach the lunch room I follow him to the lunch line.

"Rule number 1. Never pack lunch. Buying lunch is what all the popular kids do. That or they don't eat at all, which for some reason is socially accepted." He says grabbing a tray and sliding down. I look down at my paper bag lunch.

"Does that mean I shouldn't eat this?" I ask pulling up the bag.

"Take a tray and put whatever's in the bag on a tray." He says. I obediently do as he says. After paying, we walk down the rows of lunch tables.

"Rule number 2, never sit by the popular kids. They're there. You can tell because they just have the aura." Brent points out a table full of blondes and football jerseys. I nod.

"Those are the weird people according to the popular kids, those are normal kids, those are the smart kids, thats a mix table." He shows me all the tables.

"Which category do we fit under?" I ask.

"The losers who sit alone." He says. I give him a look and he goes to a table with a few kids not near each other. We sit at the end.

"Loser is a hurtful word." I say.

"It's what we're classified under." He says digging into his lunch.

"Who decides that?" I question. He points to the table of popular kids.

"They seem to rule everything." I say.

"That's only cause they do." He tells.

"That's not fair." I say.

"Try telling that to them." He says sighing.

"I will." I tell him getting up to walk over.

"Aileen wait don't go they'll eat you alive!" He says.

"It's my first day and I'm not going to be outcasted and viewed as a category chosen by other people. Someone needs to say something." I say turning away and walking towards the table. I hear a faint You're crazy' from behind me. I ignore it and keep walking until I reach their table.

"You people aren't fair." I say trying to make my small frail frame a bit bigger to seem strong.

"Did a loser just come talk to us?" A girl asks laughing with everyone.

"I will not be called a loser." I say.

"Ok. Fine you worthless geek." Another person says.

"I won't be called that either." I say.

"You need to go sit down and leave us be. We don't need you over here. Your ugly might be contagious." One says going as far as to get up and back away. I stand letting it absorb in.

"Get it away!" Another commands to a boy. I am reminded of how I was treated when I first came into my new home. Tears barely rim my eyes. Two boys my age but definitely bigger than me pick me up from my arms and drag my away from their table. They pick me up from my arms and legs and swing my three times before throwing my on the ground by the door. I hit the door hard on impact, making my fragile bones ache.

"Learn you're place loser!" I hear one shout. I can hear laughter all around me and my sleeve slips down just enough for me to see the word nothing before my eyes. The laughter seems to amplify louder and kind of distant. My blurry eyes can clearly see my scar. Nothing......

-

I changed the cover a little...