Chapter 19- A different side

Chapter 19-

It's been a week and I'm going insane. I've lost so much blood I can't think straight. It was never this bad before. They never even bothered to get me a bed like last time. At least last time they kept me in a real room. With a window and air. It was so musty down here from all the old visions and blankets full of dust and holes. I had made a bed out of what I could find and made my, hopefully temporary, room. There was an old nightstand missing a leg I propped up against a wall and I still had my suitcase. Mark and Josephine were stupid enough to leave it down here with me. So at least I had the pictures of my parents. My parents. I wonder if they were looking for me now. I wonder if they've noticed yet. Had they found my note? Did they read it? Did my dad hold my mom as they cried? Did they cry at all? I know I can picture the smug look on Emily's face when she notices I'm gone. I hear pounding and yelling from upstairs. It's obviously Josephine and Mark having another drunk fight. But it's the morning and they don't usually do that this early. Maybe if I creep up the stairs enough I'll be able to hear......but it's too risky. It's not like they'll notice? I silently slip up the stairs, being careful to not step on the creaky boards.

"No Mark! I told you we shouldn't have taken the stupid thing back! What is she to us!" I hear Josephine yell.

"You know what she is to us? She's years of pretending to be upset, years of our angry energy held in, years of people wondering why the sweet little girl had run away, the police stalking our every move since!" Mark shouts.

"What's the point Mark? I don't love that child, I don't want it dwelling in my basement or even in this house! Do you even remember who her parents are and how many people know who she is now? Do you have any idea how hard the police will search!" Josephine stresses.

"That's the exact reason why we kidnapped her! Think about it! Who are her parents?" Mark asks.

"Mark-"

"Just say it!"

"Liam Payne and Danielle Peazer."

"And who is Liam Payne?"

"An internationally famous super rich previous boyband member!" I can almost imagine the gears clicking in Josephine's brain.

"Exactly! They want the girl back, they give us ransom money, we throw the beaten bloody girl back at them, buy a plane ticket to the far unknown, and we're set for life Josie!" I hear Mark exclaim. Then I hear them laughing and bouncing around. Gees, these two are idiots. Where did that come from? Oh I don't know, ask yourself. Shut up Aileen. Wait, am I talking to myself? I believe so.

"Hold yourself together Aileen." I whisper crawling down the stairs and tripping. I fall face first on the ground and scrape up my face. Ok, that one was on me. I pull myself to my makeshift bed near the boiler, to stay warm, and curl up in a ball. I'm a pawn to them! They're going to contact Liam and make him pay money for me back! I'm not going to die! Maybe I should try to push my luck. If I scream loud enough someone might hear. But my throat is sore from lack of water and violent shoves against my neck. I push myself up and hold onto the pole for balance, guiding myself to the stairway.

"Josephine!" I hear myself croak. The sound out of my mouth is like a dying animal, "Josephine!" I say louder. The door swings open and I am knocked in the face with a frying pan. Again, I fly back and hit my back against the ground.

"Were our rules not clear enough? No talking, no screaming, no trying to escape." She hisses.

"I just wanted food." I say trying to put on my most innocent face.

"That's cute." Josephine snorts rolling her eyes.

"Humans need food and water to survive. They can survive a week without food and only a few days without water. The last time I had water was 3 days ago and food 6 days." I inform, letting the more confident side of me lead.

"Really? Well aren't you a smart ass. They really did teach you something in that damn school." She says. I nod. "You're not bullshitting me girl?" She asks.

"No ma'am, I would never. I was just wondering if this was the intended way you wanted me to die." I say.

"No," She narrows her eyes, "That would be no fun. Trust me, Mark's got a lot of tricks he's been dying to try out."

"Can't wait." I murmur.

"You being sarcastic?" She threatens holding the pan up again and pulling a knife from her pocket.

"No!" I immediately shake my head.

"That's what I thought." The knife slips back into her pocket, "Come here." I timidly inch my way back up the stairs to her. She encodes my face with her sharp nails, piercing them into my skin.

"If you weren't such a nothing and a disgrace to the human race I might actually have liked you." She growls.

"Um, thanks?" I say.

"Don't give me that tone." She commands pulling her hand up to slap me across the face, "Get here." She takes out a pair of handcuffs and locks me to the sink. Then she goes around the house locking doors and pulling down the blinds.

"Alright," She says taking off the handcuffs, "You sit here and I'll scrape up whatever food I can find. If the doorbell rings you run to the basement and hide yourself down there, got it?"

"Yes ma'am, thank you." I say smiling gratefully. Josephine wasn't that bad. If you subtract all the things she's done that are bad to me she's actually a nice lady. It's Mark that brings out the worst in everyone. That brings a question to my mind.

"Where's Mark?" I ask her as she places a pan on the oven.

"Out on personal errands." She states. No wonder she let me out and seemed like she was cooking a meal.

"What kind of errands?" I ask.

"Listen girl, just because I'm letting you out of the ugly dark basement and giving you food doesn't mean I'm suddenly a nice person. Im only doing it this once because you're a kid and you haven't eaten lately." She tells.

"And because Mark isn't home." I add.

"My actions do not rely on wether or not Mark is here. I am my own person." Josephine says.

"Ok." I sigh.

"Do you want food or not?" She asks flipping something over in the pan.

"Sorry." I mumble.

"That's what I thought. Your grilled cheese is done." She says placing it in front of me with a glass of orange juice.

"Thank you. You're not so bad you know." I tell her smiling and massacring my sandwich. I almost cry after my first bite. I haven't had a real meal in so long. Last time Mark scraped up burnt pieces of food from the oven and I found an old cracked cup and a leak in the ceiling for water.

"You're staring at that food likes it's going to disappear." Josephine notes.

"Sorry." I say.

"Eat quickly Mark could come home any minute." She urges cleaning up the dishes. I down the food and juice, feeling the best I have in a week.

"So it is Mark." I say.

"Would you like me to beat you?" She asks.

"No ma'am." I reply.

"We raised you well." Josephine says. The whips raised me to be respectful, not them, "Back in the basement." After being up here, even for a small time, I don't want to go back.

"Thank you for the food and change of scenery." I tell her climbing down the stairs.

"Just get down." She says, but it doesn't sound very tough. I scamper downstairs and curl up on my bed. The door slams shut and I hear the lock click. A feeling of sadness covers me like a blanket. I'm very grateful for having a few minutes of freedom and replenishment, but it just makes me want to go home more. Where is home anyway? They say it's where the heart is, but where is my heart? In my chest, but on the street too. I always had enough money to get by. The more I think about it, the more my parent's home feels like home. Except they aren't married. Yet here I am. I've only been with them for a short time, but I love them. I wish I hadn't been such an overreactive teen.

-

I finally updated!