Chapter 11- Nightmares can continue during the day

Chapter 11-

I wake up drenched in sweat and fall out of bed with a thud. It almost livens my previous dreams. I quickly jump up and stumble into the bathroom throwing water in my face. This was a luxury. I strip and take a shower cleaning myself before going to put on my clothes for the day. It was time to face a new day. I grab my backpack and pack whatever I may need into it and head downstairs. Only a short sleepy figure with their hair in a mop on their head is downstairs.

"Momma is that you?" A small tired voice asks. It's little Nalise.

"No Nalise. It's Aileen." I say bending down to her height.

"Ailee." She yawns holding her arms out, "I tired." I look to the clock checking the time. It was 4 am and I was ready for school. Well then. I assume Nalise must have woken up too and wondered around not able to see in the dark looking for her mom.

"Come on Nalise, I'll bring you back to bed." I say picking her up and holding her the best I can. My legs were strong from all the walking I had done but my arms weren't the same. Luckily, the little girl was light enough for me to carry. I don't really know where her room is but I come across a door with her name on it. It seems like the place. I open up the door the best I can and quietly close it behind me. This would be my dream bedroom as a child. The bed was a large one with pink fluffy sheets designed to look like a carriage. Half of a small castle was built into the side of her room. Many princess dolls scatter across the cream colored carpet near a nearly deserted large elegant barbie doll house. On the far wall was a mural of all the Disney princess, by far the most interesting wall while the others a muted pink. After getting over the shock of how much one little girl could have I manage to get Nalise under the covers. I am about to leave when she speaks out,

"Tuck me in." I was never tucked in at her age. I would sit in my bed listening to the drunken fights downstairs between my foster parents as the words and occasional furniture were thrown at each other. I would always lay on edge unable to sleep out of fear, since most of the fights resulted in my punishment. I rush to her bed before the memories return. I tuck her covers underneath her.

"Sing." She commands. The request is so soft and sweet I can't refuse. I have time anyway. I don't know any songs though. I look around her room until I find a small composition book entitled 'Bedtime songs'. I open it up to scrawled handwriting that had hurriedly written down songs. I decide to just keep it at the first page, remembering the song from the first night I slept here.

"Your hand fits in mine like it's made just for me,

But bear this in mind it was meant to be,

And I'm joining up the dots with the freckles on your cheeks,

And it all makes sense to me." I check to look at her and her mouth and slightly moving.

"I know you've never loved,

The crinkles by your eyes,

When you smile you've never loved,

You stomach or your thighs,

The dimples in your back at the bottom of your spine,

But I'll love them endlessly." I sing to her. She stirs slightly but not much.

"I wont let these little things slip, out of my mouth,

But if I do,

Its you,

It's you,

They add up to." I continue. That's the last I sing. Nalise is asleep. I kiss her forehead and exit out the door. I actually felt like I had a little sister. Mark and Josephine had no children. It probably explains why they treated me the way they did. I needed to stop thinking about them. It was stressing me out. Now I had the feeling that they could barge through the window any second now and kidnap me. I wasn't safe. I ran downstairs and into the twists and turns of the house until I found a small closet with cards and books. They were tucked together neatly and thrown in here in a way no one would really want to pick them up. I fit myself in the closet and close the door picking up the first note.

Dear Danielle,

I miss you. Emily isn't for me. It seems shes only in it for my money. They pay her good to be my fake girlfriend. She's a good actress and she cooks but I'd much rather have you back.

Love,

Liam.

There is not postage stamp, no address to send it to no return address. Just the note in a letter with her name, never sent. I pull out another.

Dear Danielle,

I need you. Every day is gloomy and dark. I can't get this pressing heavy feeling away. I can only imagine how it is for you. I wish I could be there.

Love,

Liam

Maybe I can find more from these letters about my father and mother. I pull another.

Dear Danielle,

I'm sorry about the mistakes I've made, but this one was probably the worst. We should've waited. I notice that now. If I could take it back I would. Then maybe I wouldn't have to marry the queen of evil herself. Maybe I'd still be with you........

Love,

Liam.

It's easy to tell the mistakes. The mistake it me, obviously. I ruined what they had before me.

"Aileen?" I hear my dad's voice yell. Quickly I shove the notes in the backpack I've been lugging around. Then I come out of the closet and run as far from it as I can. I find myself in a room full of exercise machines.

"Here you are." I hear him say from behind me, "What are you doing in here? You don't need to loose any weight." He says.

"I was looking around and stumbled into here by accident." I say. It's somewhat truthful. Lying is becoming a bad habit of mine......

"Oh alright. Come upstairs for breakfast then we'll drive you to school." After I'm done eating my dad brings me to school and I walk into the horrid place. Already kids have caught on that I'm a new target. Everywhere I go people are tripping me and spitting at me. It's gross, the spiting. Tripping is just rude. I find myself on the ground in a matter of seconds.

"Nice backpack loser." A hear the voice of the girl from history class say. I turn my head as she rips it off my shoulder.

"Give it Back!" I plea.

"Let's see what's in here, shall we?" She asks with her post of friends behind her.

"Not here Jessica! Let's open them somewhere else! I have a much better idea." Another girl snickers.

"Right. Let's go to the bathroom." Jessica smirks running off with her friends.

"Wait!" I ask reaching toward them. It wouldn't do anything anyway.

"Aileen what are you doing get out of the middle!" Brent hisses pulling me away from the middle.

"They took my things." I sigh.

"It's ok you can always get new things." Brent says.

"No, not some things!" I exclaim jumping up in horror.

"What?" He asks.

"I found some personal notes in my house that my dad wrote....." I trail off thinking of all the cruel jokes and how this could all get out to the media. I was a mess.

"On a scale of one to ten how personal?" He asks.

"Eleven." I squeak.

"Well, your screwed." Brent says.

"Thank you for the help." I sarcastically say.

"Unless you want to go into the bathroom and face the devil in flesh alone then go ahead." Brent offers.

"I'll just start preparing for the worst." I say. Brent gives me a reassuring pat on the shoulder before we trip our separate ways to different classes. I had Chemistry. I didn't even know what chemistry was. This should be fun.

-

:)