15: Snakes in the Grass

Start from the beginning

Russell called at her retreating figure,

"The captain will be alright, lass."
He consoled.

"Shut yer trap, Russell!"
She snapped as she went to the deserted sleeping chambers.

Did he really think she was that weak to be that high-strung over Edward?

When Anna searched the sleeping chambers, she found the mole's coat hanging on the coat rack.

Glancing nervously around at the empty quarters, Anna reached into the coat's pockets and felt a lumpy string at the bottom. She curiously pulled the string out.

It was a crude, rope rosary with the letters PTW carved into the wooden cross.

No one on this ship has a last name that starts with a 'W!'

And who on this ship prays? Dr. John does some times, so does Adawalé on occasionally, Peter, J-
Peter.. Peter the Whaler...
PTW..

The mole was the lanky Peter the Whaler. He was Bitish born, and raised right across the harbor. It all made perfect sense.

However, Anna suddenly realized that the mole could have just used Peter's coat to go about his pathetic buisness. It didn't necessarily mean that he was the mole. After all, all of the men shared their things. Anna developed a plan to flush him out.

She went back to the party, and as Soap played his guitar, she casually leaned against a wall next to Peter.

It took all of her will not to launch his teeth into his brains, but she managed to maintain a friendly demeanor with him.

After making some small talk, Anna whispered to him,

"Do you trust Soap? Cause I sure as hell don't."

Peter shifted this feet,
"Why not?"

He asked curiously as he leaned towards her gossip.

There was something in his eyes deeper than curiosity: there was a glint of mischief.

Anna still had to have proof before she acted.

She gritted her teeth,

"Im not supposed to tell anyone, but Kenway suspected a mole before he left. So, he put fake coordinates on his desk to try and trick the mole. Earlier today, I saw Soap coming out of Edward's office all suspicious looking. Maybe I forgot to lock it or maybe he picked the lock. Come tonight, the British now have those fake coordinates in hand. I saw them myself in their brig at the harbor. "
She whispered.

Peter stared intently at Anna,
"Well, where are we really going?"
He ventured eagerly.

"Back to the Salt Keys I rekon. Remember. This is just between you and me. Keep your eyes out. I need someone I can trust."
She whispered with hidden sarcasm as she walked away.

An hour later, Peter slipped away from the party, and off of the ship.

The way he reacted confirmed it.

He was the mole.

Now that Peter took the bait, that brig with Joel would definitely stop on the way to Havanna at the Salt Keys once it was repaired. The British excepted to find the next treasure clue there, but this is where the pirates could rescue Joel.

The next days passed by incredibly slowly. As the sun crept like a tortoise through the sky, worry and doubt about Edward consumed Anna's mind and drove her mad.