7: Kiss Your Own Arse

The pirates' rowboats paddled almost every man aboard The Jackdaw to the Salt Keys to strand the British.

Through the frame of Anna's unsteady heart, her eyes didn't quite look past the beauty of the small island. Some deer leaped deeper into the sandy forest as the boats approached. Anna looked over at the next rowboat to Captain Kenway. He was standing stoically with one of his legs elevated on the boat's edge as he scanned the island ahead. He truly was the image of a real captain. As if he noticed her gaze, he turned to her, asking her with his eyes the question that she had not yet answered. She turned away.

Her talk about pirates with James Pemberton made her feel better.
Although the doctor himself chose to stay behind on The Jackdaw, she wished he had come along with her. It was hard to ever get him out of his workplace with his lingering war traumas. 

Anna knew she would have enemies after this day. Even still, the temptation to change her mind remained. She left those doubtful thoughts unattended.

When the boats reached the white sand, the pirates pushed the redcoats in front of them, and with pistols, led them into the shade of the palm trees.

Anna, to the curiosity of every soul, stood between the group of prisoners and the pirates pointing the guns.
She kept her head cast downward as if still contemplating her decision. Then, the pirates behind her stopped walking.

Anna turned behind her to look at Kenway. He looked at her and raised his eyebrow quizzically.
It was time for her to decide.
He could see the distress in her face slowly give to determination.

She looked Fonte in the eye and took slow steps backward until she was standing parallel with the pirates of The Jackdaw.
She was staying with the pirates.

Fonte's mouth gapped as Anna stared at him with hate.

"Anna, Anna what are you doing?"
Fonte questioned with a mix of anger and abandonment,

"Anna... Your are my property! Do you hear? Come here now!" His green eyes mounted with icy anger.

Anna matched his stare,
"Looks like you'll have to kiss your own arse from now on, James."
She stated firmly.

The Jackdaw's crew let out an unabashed spout of laughter and cheer at Anna's comment as they snickered and Fonte. Anna had never dared to call him by 'James' before, which added to Fonte's shock.
He melted pathetically under his hurt pride and stared at Captain Kenway, this time with desperation.

"Captain Kenway, I demand that you release me with the only thing that I have left of what is mine. Captain to captain. Give me the girl."
He demanded with wavering hope.

Edward sauntered forward,
"Oh really, James? Because it seems to me that she has chosen freedom over- how did she put it.. kissing your white little arse."
He teased, making air quotations around 'little white arse.'

The pirates snickered again and even Anna huffed a breath of laughter. Fonte's eyes stayed trained on the now-former young slave of his.

Captain Kenway stepped in front of Fonte's view,

"Why do you want her so bad, ey'?"
Kenway jeered quietly so Anna could barely hear him,
"Mm.. when you say she's yours, you mean more than by the bonds of slavery, don't ye?"

Anna breathed in as she stared innocently at Fonte.

Kenway leaned closer to the cowering former captain,

"Admit it, lad. Your eyes follow her like a cat following a mouse. You fancy her."
Kenway ended with a mocking smirk.

Both captains looked at Anna's furrowed expression. Anna waited for Fonte to deny it, but he didn't.