Chapter 33

I can’t believe they would all do this to me. I thought they were my friends, I guess I was wrong.

“Well thank you so much for all of you that are abandoning me just because you’re afraid. If you need me, Gale or Peeta we will be in Twelve making sure that Paylor is to be there by five,” I say. I look at Haymitch and he winks at me. Then I leave. I go back to my room. Peeta isn’t there so I go straight to the target range and I see him talking to Eli. Peeta gets up and gives me a kiss.

“Hey Katniss, Eli was just about to go look for you, you need to train,” he says. I take a deep breath and I’m going to tell him right in front of Eli. Peeta can tell by just my face that something is really wrong. He sits me down.

“Peeta we are not staying here,” I say.

“What do you mean?” he asks.

“I mean we are leaving Thirteen today to fight. Paylor has a messed up plan that only Gale believes is true that I will explain later. Eli I could use my bow and some other weapons. You’re welcome to come with us Eli if you would want to fight with us unless you’re afraid but you have to tell me now because we are leaving now.” He doesn’t even hesitate with his answer.

“I’m in,” he says.

“Great. Grab my bow and some guns and we’re out of here” He runs into the weapon room and a few minutes later he comes out with an arm full of weapons including my bow. I grab my bow, Peeta grabs a few guns, Gale grabs a few guns and Eli carries the rest. We run to the lift off/landing station for hovercrafts. We all get into the hovercraft and when we get in there Gale goes straight to the phone to tell Claudia what to do. I’m going to miss my little girl. When I sit down Peeta puts his arm around me and starts to whisper in my ear.

“I am so proud of you. You are giving up the safety of yourself and the little person inside of you to defend your country. But why are we leaving Thirteen?” he asks.

“The security system was breached and Peacekeepers got in. No one can recognize them because they are disguised as Thirteen citizens. They killed five and injured five through a shooting. Then Paylor surrendered, they were flying her to Thirteen but everyone there was too stupid to realize that Paylor was only doing this so when she gets there the Peacekeepers will free her then kill everyone there. It’s simple to understand but no one believed me. That’s why it’s only us four,” I say.

“I believe you, and I always will.” I smile and give him a kiss. “But why are you risking your life for something that if you lose, we all die?”

“It’s what I think is right. And if I lose, at least I gave it a try.”

“You’re not afraid?”

“I’m terrified.” He laughs a little.

“Why don’t you go to sleep?”

“Because last night was one of the best nights of sleep I’ve ever gotten.” He kisses my head. I start to stroke his hair and I put my head on his shoulder. He smiles the closes his eyes. After a few minutes I start to hear Peeta snore. I hate it when he does this to me. He always tells me that if I can’t sleep to wake him up and that he will make me comfortable again to fall asleep. Whether it is rubbing my back or his warm lips lightly dancing with mine to make me feel safe again. I thought he would do the same for me. He should wake me up when he needs someone there for him. He just says they’re nightmares about me. He’s been using the same excuse for eighteen years years. When we land Peeta is still asleep. I shake him awake and he just moans.

“Few more minutes Katniss,” he says

“Okay, I guess I’ll just go get some water,” I say. He slightly opens his eyes.