Chapter 23

I sit down on the bench in the hovercraft and it takes off. I’m in so much shock that I don’t even care that I’m leaving. When we land we are at the President’s Mansion. I’m told that they have caught Paylor and that Peeta is on some morphine and doing fine. I thought I told them to send him to Twelve. I guess they thought the Capitol was better for medical problems. I just nod my head and find a room. I go in it and lock the door and sit down on the bed and cry. I can’t believe that my father has been alive after nine, almost ten years. I thought my dad died when I was ten. I turn twenty in a few day and I just found out that my dad survived the mine explosion and has been alive all these years. I furious and happy at the same time. Bitter sweet. I really need to talk to someone right now. I need Gale. I get up, and once I get to the door it opens and it’s Gale. He sees that I have sadness on my face.

“You’ll be fine Katniss,” he says. Then he is silent and brings me into a tight hug. With my father coming back into the picture I completely forgot that my mother and Plutarch got murdered.

“I’m absolutely devastated about that, but that’s not why I came to talk to you. I don’t even want to talk about that,” I say. His face looks confused. I sit him down. I feel tears running down my face. “Prepare for some news.” How will I tell him this? “Gale, my father is alive. And if mine is yours probably is to.” His face is stern with anger. No relief or shock or even happiness.

“How do you know?”

“I just met him.”

“It could’ve been a scam to get your hopes up then hurt you.”

“How? It looked exactly like him and he was in charge of the Rebels. And the Rebels are on our side remember? We would never hurt each other like that.” I hear the door open and standing in its doorway is Peeta. I run up to him and wrap my arms around him and start to cry. He wraps his arms around me and starts to whisper.

“Katniss, I know deaths are hard because my whole family is dead. Everything will be alright, we just have to take it a step at a time,” he says. I nod my head even though it’s buried into his shoulder.

“Isn’t there something you want to tell him Katniss?” says Gale.

 I nod my head and sit Peeta down. He grabs my hands.

“What’s wrong?” he asks. I take a deep quivering breath and just tell him.

“My father is alive, and if mine is alive Gale’s might be to.” His mouth drops open. That’s more of a reaction I was hoping for. Soon his face also turns stern.

“You’re sure?” he asks. I nod my head. “Wow, he been alive this entire time?” I nod my head.  “Katniss, this is amazing. Why aren’t you happy?”

“I am happy, I just can’t believe that he would do that to our family. He was alive the entire time but didn’t come back to support our family.”

“There will be a reason.”

“He said that he would explain everything later, but he might just lie again and leave us. If he did that I don’t know what I’d do. If found my not dead father and he just leaves me again I-,” I start to cry. Peeta takes me into his arms.

 “I’m going to go find Claudia and tell her what’s going on. Haymitch probably already knows but I’ll find him to. I’ll be back soon,” says Gale. Then he leaves. I’m still crying. Peeta starts to rub my back.

“Your dad will come, even if I have to go and find him myself so he will talk to you.” I pull back and I smile.

“You would really do that for me?”

“Of course I would. I love you and deserve to be happy. And if you’re not happy then I’m not happy, so I will do anything to make you happy.”

“I love you.” He smiles then kisses me. I cuddle up in his arms on the bed and we wait. After an hour or so Haymitch, Claudia, and Gale all walk in. They all don’t say a word and sit in chairs in the room. We all wait in silence. I don’t know if it’s because of my family or because of my father. We wait for my father to show up and explain why he is here. Minutes feel like hours, hours feel like days, days feel like weeks. Why is my father making us wait for three days? All we have been doing is going to the dining hall and eating then coming back into the room without a word. We don’t say a word to anyone at the dining hall, even if we are asked questions. After the third day Gale, Claudia, and Haymitch begin to talk again but Peeta and I stay silent. They eventually leave our room only Gale comes back. We don’t talk to each other. We don’t talk to anyone. It’s been five days and still my father hasn’t shown.  I give up not talking today. I knew it. I knew my father wouldn’t show. I was just afraid to admit it. I grab Peeta’s hands and begin to talk for the first time in five days.

“Peeta,” I begin. My voice sounds cracked and worn. I clear my throat. “I knew I was right. I know you tried to make me feel better but my father isn’t coming. I’ve been waiting almost ten years for him to come home. He’s not coming. If he doesn’t come before I turn twenty I know he will hate me. I turn twenty in two days Peeta. My father hates me.”

“Katniss, I know you’re hurting like hell right now. A lot has happened but he still has two days to show. You don’t know, he could be right down the hall thinking of what to say to you. He’s your father. He will always love you even though he won’t be with you.”

“He’s so right Katniss. Family sticks together. How do you think we made it all those years supporting our families?” He’s right. We made it because we stuck together. We were a close family, and nothing will break apart our band. Not death or cowardice. Family is family. I wonder how Peeta could handle his mother. She was a witch. I honestly felt bad for him. I’m surprised him and his brothers didn’t go to the home where they would put kids with dysfunctional families. He’s never told me.

“I don’t mean to be rude but how could you stand your mother Peeta? She hated you. How could you spend the last seventeen years of your life with her? You would always come to school with bruises on your face.”

“I could stand her but I loved her. She was my mother and it’s really hard to hate family. I deserved those bruises but I’ve gone two years without my family and look how I turned out. I’m married to the most beautiful girl in Panem, and I’m as happy as I could be right now.” I smile. He knows how to make me feel amazing.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“No, I mean thank you. You made me realize that we can be happy without our families. I don’t really want to think about my mother or Plutarch anymore. I lived ten years without my father, I can live my life without him. I am the happiest girl when I’m with you and I don’t need my father. I’m in love and that’s all that counts.” He smiles then kisses me. Then someone barges into the room. My face fills with joy. I run up and give him a hug.

“Dad,” I say starting to cry.

*********************************************************************************************************************

You like that I put Katniss' dad in the story? How he's alive is in the next chapter. Vote if you liked the chapter and comment what you liked and disliked!

Love, Bookjunkie001