Chapter 20

I quietly get out of the vent and get the door where you have to enter to get into the hovercraft. There is a card swipe. I take a guess and swipe the Peacekeepers ID card. I’m in. The platform that leads you onto to the hovercraft is starting to close.

“Wait!” I scream. The platform starts dropping again and a Peacekeeper meets me in the doorway.

“Who are you and why are you here?” he asks. I make up a big, white lie. I try to change my voice as much as possible and try not to make eye contact with the man.

“I’m new and for a part of my training I am required to come onto the hovercraft that goes into the arena. President’s orders.”

“Where is you ID card?”

“I lost it earlier today.”

“How’d you get in?”

“The lady out there let me in since she was training me earlier today.” He starts to talk to the other man in the hovercraft.

“I’m sorry I didn’t recognize you. You’re the new recruit Zabiena.” I nod my head. He’s so stupid that he doesn’t even notice who I am. This is too easy. I guess even the Peacekeepers in the Capitol are just a stupid as the citizens. He motions me in. When we get in there he sits in the co-pilot seat and I sit in the small seat right behind him. I didn’t know there was going to be two. This is going to be harder than I thought. We lift off and go through a series of tunnels until we get into the arena. I wish I had my bow and my father’s dozen arrows with me. So I do the only thing I can think of. I take out a dart and dip it in the poison and shove it into his face. He starts screaming death cries.

“Land this hovercraft right now or face your death,” I say.

“I couldn’t have done it better myself,” says the man who is now landing the hovercraft. I wonder what he means until he turns his head towards me. It’s Haymitch dressed in a Peacekeeper outfit. I give him a hug.

“Peeta told you, didn’t he?” I ask.

“You know he was never good at keeping secrets,” he says. Thank goodness. I have someone who I can trust. I knew I couldn’t do this alone, but I knew I needed to.

“Thank you for helping me out.”

“Yeah, okay. How are you going to get those two out of here? Well I was thinking we land near them and tell the Control Center that we are having some technical difficulties and should be back up soon. During that time we go find them and tell them to come with us. Once we come back with no bodies we can tell them that the tracking system wasn’t working. We will be out of there before they can come fix it.”

“You have this all planned out,” he says landing the hovercraft a mere five hundred yards away from them. He opens up the hatch and I run out. I hear Gale jump out of the tree and he starts to walk towards me with caution.

“What are you doing here?” asks Gale.

“I’m here to break you out. I’ll explain on the way,” I say whispering. His face looks confused until I come a little closer. He pulls me behind a bush.

“What on earth are you doing here? You could get killed.”

“I need the help of you and Claudia to kill Paylor. I’ll get as much extra help as possible but we have to go now.” He shakes his head.

“Is Peeta helping?” I shake my head. Gale really doesn’t want Peeta to do anything.

“He still too sick to be around. We have to go now, they probably already know that I’m in here.” He nods and gives me a hug then goes to get Claudia. I motion them into the hovercraft. Right before I go in the anthem starts I see up in the sky “the fallen”. I watch as all of the pictures flash up and then I see a live video footage of Paylor. She just talks about the first day and everything when Peeta pushes her out of the shot.

“Katniss, everyone knows! I don’t know how, Haymitch is the only one that I told.  You have to get out there now. And Paylor is the one hijacking me. I haven’t slept in twenty four hours and right when I was starting to doze she came in with a bag full of the venom. You have to get out of there now Katniss. They’re coming after you.” I see Peeta get tackled by Peacekeepers. Then the sky goes black and hovercrafts fill the sky. We all rush into the hovercraft and take off. We might get caught. We are swerving in the sky dodging as much as we can. We eventually make it into the tubes and are headed for the takeoff landing platform. When we get there, there are a good two dozen Peacekeepers. I do the only thing I can think of. I put my hands up in the air and drop to my knees. Once they handcuff me I come up with the perfect plan. When everyone is handcuffed they guide us down so many flights of stairs we are under the arena. When we get there Plutarch, my mother, and Peeta are all in one big cell already. They take off our handcuffs in the cell and go right into Peeta’s arms. He kisses my cheek and wraps his arms tightly around me. We are in each other’s arms for at least ten minutes until we pull away. He kisses me. He’s crying so I wipe away his tears.

“I thought you were dead,” he says starting to cry again. I wipe away his tears again.

“I’m right here Peeta and I won’t leave you unless your life depends on it,” I say.

“I know. But I thought since the arena, and the Peacekeepers I thought you wouldn’t make it out and-,” I cut him off.

“I’m fine Peeta.”

“No, you’re not.”

“Why wouldn’t I be. I’m with you and that’s all that could make me happy.”

“Yeah but we’re in a jail cell.” I look around then laugh.

“Oh, yeah about that.” I pull him into the corner of the cell and motion over everyone else. I want to come up with a plan, but the last time I saw Claudia was actually before the Games started, but after my wedding. She told me something big, something that you only tell your friends. No one knows but me.

“It’s time that Claudia says something. Its better she says it now just in case we can’t get out of here.” I can see she is terrified that I just put her on the spot but they will figure out soon anyway so why not now? I’m the only one who knows because she’s too afraid to tell anyone else. I see her take a deep breath and looks right into Gale’s eyes.

“Gale I love you, but please don’t be mad.” He grabs her hands.

“I would never be mad at you.” She takes a deep breath.

“Then you won’t be mad when I tell you that I’m pregnant?”

*********************************************************************************************************************

Since Katniss is such a genius and thought she could get away with getting Gale and Claudia out of the arena, they are now screwed in a cell. Anyways, vote if you liked it and comment what you liked and disliked!

Love, Bookjunkie001