Chapter 25

All of us go into the house. I still refuse to look. Peeta and I sit on the couch and my dad sits right across from us. Peeta and my father are just staring at each other, probably trying to figure each other out. I stare down my father. Who is this man that he has become? I don’t even know him anymore. He’s changed too much. I miss the old him. Then out of the blue Peeta is starting to talk. And I can tell he’s mad, and he’s never mad. Ever. And when he is, it is only for a little while. By the look of his face, it looks like he’s been holding in this anger for a long time, even though he’s only known about my father for five days.

“Sir, you have made my wife and your daughter very upset because of your actions. You were her only family left and you walked out on her, or as you had everyone thinking, you ‘died’. Katniss has been telling me that you were her best friend and now you seem like a… completely different man. It hurts her. She feels like she has no family, so I have to be her family now. Your wife is dead and she didn’t even know you were alive. That was very rude and disrespectful. If you were trying to make things better by staying hidden you made it worse. I hate seeing her so upset. I also don’t know why you won’t accept me into your life. I love your daughter, she is my life. We’re each other’s life. We’re each other’s family. If you don’t accept me then you don’t accept her because family sticks together. If you feel that I’m just saying a bunch of shit, please leave because I don’t want a person like you in our house,” he says. My dad stands up and reaches out for Peeta’s hand. Peeta puts out his hand and my father shakes it.

“I have never met anyone that is as devoted to my daughter as you. She is my little girl and I know by what you just said to me that she is in very good hands being with you. I’m sorry I rejected you when we first met. I knew my little girl was going to get married but I hoped it would be after I showed her that I was alive. I know it’s too late but I would’ve given you my blessing to marry her. You’re a good man Peeta and I know that my daughter is very happy with you,” my dad says. I run up to my dad and I give him a hug.

“I love you dad,” I say. He kisses my cheek.

“I love you too sweetheart,” he says. I’m starting to cry. But for the first time in a long time, they’re tears of joy. My dad finally accepts me and my decisions, and I finally have my family back. I have two men who I love unconditionally and I could never be happier. I eventually go back into Peeta’s arms and he wipes away my tears.

“Sir you won’t be sorry. I promise I will take good care of your little girl.”

“I know you will, and you can call me Gunner.”

“Thank you Gunner. And I’m sorry if we did anything to upset you. We were just happy with our lives and what they are going to be.”

“I’m still not thrilled about you guys being married so young but I’ll cope through it.”

“Thanks Gunner, you know you can stay here if you don’t really have anywhere else to go.”

“Thanks Peeta but I think I will stay in the Capitol, just in case there is a spark of another uprising anywhere.”

“It would be our pleasure for you to stay. Plus we can catch up on things,” I say.

“Well I guess, but I won’t stay permanently.”

“Stay as long as you want, you’re always welcome,” says Peeta. Then the rebel that took us here barges through the door.

“Sorry to barge in but you have been here too long. We must go back to the Capitol right now, you’re not even suppose-to be here,” he says. Peeta and I give each other a look. Right when Peeta about says something I cut him off.