“Oh, get a room.”

 I disconnect myself from Julio to see Mia smiling at us, a red tint to her cheeks. She was never good when it came to cold weather and by the way Aiden was rubbing his hands on hers, I knew she must have been freezing.

 “You’re one to talk.”

 I raise an accusing eyebrow at her and her smile gets bigger. When she moves away from Aiden, I know it’s time.

 It was time to put this chapter of our life to a close.

 I reach out and run my hands through Julios hair, letting the raven like pieces stick up.

 “Just give me a minute,” I whisper, the effect of this moment hitting me. Julio nods his head and cups my cheek for a few more seconds.

 “I’ll be right here,” He tells me, the meaning more than clear. He was telling me with one sentence that he would always be here.  

 “I know.” He bends down, gives me one more quick kiss, and heads toward Aiden.

 Letting out my breath, I step toward Kayla and Mia. Us three stand there for a moment, letting snow fall all around us.

 We all said our goodbyes earlier, letting the tears out then. Now the reality was staring us in the face.

 “The three amigos are coming to an end.” Mia says, a wistful look on her face. I reach over and grab her hand with mine.

 “Not an end, just an impasse.” Kayla smiles and reaches for my hand too and soon we are in a small, closed circle.

 “You will call everyday, right?” I ask Kayla, repeating what I have already said.

 “Yes mother,” She replies exasperated. “And email,” Mia pipes in, her nose red form the chill. Kayla nods her head and we smile at one another.

 “It’s been a long year. Hell, it’s been a long everything.”

“Sure has,” Mia agrees with me the same time Kayla breaks the circle. She looks up at the sky for a few moments and then back at us.

 “I need to go before the storm gets bad.” I reach out, give her the longest hug I can. I swore to her I wouldn’t cry and I don't, holding it in. Kayla suddenly whispers in my ear, making sure no one else hears her.

 “I don’t hate you Kelsey. So don’t think I’m leaving because of you.” I shake my head against her shoulder.

 “I know Kayla, I know. This is what you want and I will try my hardest to let you go and do it.” I lean away and she quickly kisses my cheek.

 “I love you.”

 “I love you too.”

 When she moves away from me she heads to the drivers side of the car and gives us all one last wave before hopping in and shutting the door forever.

 I watch and when I feel something wet line my cheek, I know the tears I have been holding in for her are finally coming through.

 “Did I ever tell you how much you  inspire me?’ I hear a low voice say in my ear. When I feel arms wrap around my midsection from behind, I know it’s Julio.

 “What you doing is right Kelsey. Letting her go.” I thread my hands through his and when Kayla finally puts the car in drive and starts to head away, I smile sadly.

 “I know.”

 And when I get done watching her car turn the corner and disappear from sight, I turn my head and kiss Julio’s chin. “Thank you for being here.” He puts a finger under my chin and brings my mouth closer to his.

 “Always.”

 We’re about to kiss when suddenly I feel a snow ball hit my head. Jerking out of Julio’s embrace, I look over in time to see Aiden forming another snowball in his hand. Julio notices it the same time I do and smirks.

 “You think you can hit my girl and get away with it Cash?”

 And when Aiden throws the snowball at Julio, and he ducks, I know the fight was on. I fall back as the two of them go at it and I feel someone come up at my side.

 “Idiots,” Mia says, rolling her eyes at the same time Julio charges Aiden. They both fall to the ground rather hardly.

 “Should we stop them?” I ask, humor laced in my words. Aiden suddenly gets the upper hand and Julio smashes snow in Aiden’s face, gaining the hand once again.

 “Nah,” Mia says, looping her hand through mine. “Let them both fight it out. Because look what I got?” She raises her hand and in it is Aidens credit card. I raise my eyebrows comically.

 “Shoes?”

 “Shoes.”

 And when Mia and I turned to leave, I knew this memory would stay forever. This is the one thing I would never forget, being surrounded by the people I loved.

 Once upon a time I use to believe love was a fairytale.

I was so very, very wrong.