Chapter 43

Cora's POV

I squinted my eyes as they adjusted to the light seeping through my bed chambers window. I didn't want to get up, or even move for that matter. My only thoughts were on William, and what I knew I had to do to him. I can't remember ever crying myself to sleep before, but yesterday I did.

"Well, I was beginning to think you were dead" I voice said from the other side of the room. I turned my head to see that it was in fact James. I smiled at him

"Good morning James" I said as I sat up in bed.

"More like good afternoon" he said as he pointed out to the window, towards the sun.

My eyes widened "why didn't you wake me up James? I have plans with my mother today. Tomorrow is the wedding you know!"

"How can I forget?" He said handing me breakfast. "The whole Castle is covered in decor. The servants are scrambling to get everything done, and everyone can not stop talking about it. With everyone this excited, maybe you should get married more often." He joked.

I however didn't find it that funny, and I assumed he noticed because his expressionless softened. I would have to kill William and he knew that. "I'm sorry Cora." He said sincerely.

I shrugged it off. "It's alright" I lied.

"Where were you yesterday?" I asked after awhile. "I waited for you here but you never came back. I must of fell asleep." I said looking around. Last night felt hazy.  I was so upset with my uncle and I really needed to talk to James about it like I normally do but he was nowhere to be found.

He shrugged his shoulders. A habit I had known him to do when he was tense or a bit frustrated. He obviously did not like my question which only raised my suspicion.

"It wouldn't have anything to do with that mysterious redheaded woman would it? I teased.

His eyes shot at me in shock as if saying GOD NO but didn't.

"You don't have to deny it you know" I said as I put my empty plate to the side.  "I see you two every now and again roaming the halls together. I asked around about her because of course my curiosity got the best of me, but no one seems to know much about her." I said "so spill"

He thought it over for a few moments before he looked back at me with a smile. "You caught me" he said as he put his hands up in surrender. "She's a dancer hired as entertainment for your wedding, and well I've been talking to her for awhile." He said and I could tell he was being truthful.

"She's very pretty"

"Don't act so surprised" he retorted.

"So wait there is something more between you two is there?"

"No!" He defended but I could feel a bit of uncertainty in his voice.

                             ~~~

I made my way down the Castle Halls on my way to my mothers house before I felt a jerk on my left arm pulling me into a empty guest chambers. I was about to drop kick my attacker before I noticed it was William. He was dressed in a simple black pants and a long white sleeve shirt that was sloppily tucked in his pants. His bangs hung in this face in the most attractive way. Great, just what I needed right now.

"Where have you been princess?" He asked curiously.

"What do you mean?" I asked dodging the question. I knew he was smarter then that though.

"You've been dodging me."

"I haven't." I lied "I have just been very busy with wedding plans." I tried my best to seem cheery, somehow I knew he saw past it.

I've tried to avoid him as much as possible. I knew what I had to do and being with him would make it that much harder. I had fallen for him. I knew that now. It stung like a arrow to the chest just to look at him now, but I did it regardless.

"I know your avoiding me, just like I know your lying to me now. " he said as he grabbed my cheek with his hand. I could tell he was about to get very serious. "You've been different lately, and I'm not asking you to tell me what's wrong, but please don't lie and tell me that I am not the problem."

My breath caught in my throat as I struggled to form words or to even move, but failed.

"I just wish I could see you happy" he said so sincerely.

His eyes bore into mine so hard that I began to believe  he was looking at my very soul. I hated this, I hated lying to him but I had to protract him from the truth. I had to protracted my friends from Xavier.

I stared at him in that very moment and realized that that's what he wanted. He wanted me to be happy, he wanted us to be happy, and making us happy would make him happy. How can I deny him what could be his last request? His finale days should be ones of happiness.

"I am happy" I began, trying to not tear up. "I can't remember the last time that I smiled so much in a day, or having something to look forward to that gets me out of bed in the morning. Being with you makes me very happy" I said honestly as I grabbed his hand that was still holding the side of my cheek.

He smiled down at me as he placed a tender kiss on my forehead. His feeling of warmth surrounded me as I entered his embrace. "Do you want to go on a walk with me?" He asked after a few moments.

"I have so many things to do" I started before he gave me the puppy look. "That's cheating"

He smiled and I gave in. My tasks could wait. I only had a little time left with William and I intended to make the most of it.

I stood on my toes and planted a kiss on his all to inviting lips. "Lead the way"

                              ~~~~

Please vote and comment!

Mariska98