Chapter 33

This chapter is dedicated to  @KaEdge1412 for being a amazing supporter of my book! You are truly amazing and I love all of your comments<3
~~~

Beth's point of view.

I sat on the cold wet floor of the disgusting dungeon. My once favorite maids dress now covered in dirt and grim. I almost found myself wanting to get up and clean this place up only to remember that I am a prisoner. So I just stayed there, staring blankly at the wall as the time passed. I don't know how long I have been down here but it must have been Days, because I found myself drifting off into nothingness for what felt like a eternity. On the bright side, this must be a very peaceful kingdom considering that I am the only one down here, or maybe the criminals and low life's are to scared to try anything on Xavier's land. He is known to punish even the smallest act excessively. But what did I do to upset the king? My whole life I had said very few, if any, words to the man.

I remember cleaning Cora's room as I normally do, then all of a sudden I felt a burning pain in my head as I fell into darkness. Next thing I knew I woke  up being carried by two brutally strong arms, then they sat me down and took the bag off my head. There I stood in Xavier's room, confused and terrified. He came into the room and told me countless things as if I were not just knocked out and dragged here. He Gave me many instructions most Of them I don't even remember, for many different scenarios that he said Cora would definitely come up with. After that he called the men back into the room then gagged me and slipped the bag back over my head. Not much later they brought me back into what felt like the same room. I heard a twisted voice say

"It gets better"

After that they pulled the bag off of my head again and there stood a horrified looking Cora.

I will never forget her face. She looked crushed, destroyed even. Her uncle stared at her reaction evilly as they knocked me out again and dragged me down here, I haven't seen her or anyone else besides the guards who brought me food, if you could call it that, Since.

I have began to feel week, and I am afraid that if I were to look in a mirror, I would surly look dead.

I looked around, wondering if it was day or night, I could never tell due to the flat out darkness of this dungeon. But I assumed it was night because I began to get immensely cold. Xavier could have at least through me into one of the dungeons that had a bed, but then again he takes Joy in the torment, and torture of others and giving me a simple bed would not bring him pleasure.

I heard the noise of footsteps and thought it was a bit odd considering how late it was or how late I assumed it to be.

I stood up and walked to the bars, I grabbed the cold metal with my hands and rested my tired head onto it. I would have been more scared but frankly I was just exhausted.

I Began to see the outline of a shadow, a thin tall figure I would recognize anywhere.

"Cora!!" I shouted but it came out in a mere Whisper.

Cora come closer, pulling down her hood and letting it fall to the back of her cote. She eyes streamed with tear filled rage.

"Beth! I am so sorry, are you alright? Did they hurt you?" She said worried trying to look me over but not having much success due to the darkness.

I reached up to feel the back of my head, which I just noticed to be pounding with pain, from where they hit me over the head, Twice.

"No" I said trough a half weak smile. "I am fine.

"Beth, I am going to fix this" she promised, grabbing my cold hands through the bars. "I am going to get you out of here"

I smiled at her once more, loving the feeling of being held after being alone since god knows when.

"How long have I been down here?" I asked.

She gave me a look that clearly had I'm so sorry written all over it. "After tonight, four days."

"It has felt like a eternity" I let slip and immediately regretted it. She looks so tired, so broken, id hate to add to that.

"You don't have to worry Beth," she said "I will get you out if here, even if I have to kill Xavier myself."

My eyes shut up. "No!" I warned "you can't!" I said in horror, my Conversation with the king came back to mind.

"Beth, he is a evil man.." She said before I cut her off.

"No you don't understand! You can't! For James's sake, please don't!"

Cora's, eyes widened and the name of her best friend.

"Your uncle told me to tell you that you can't." I said. Her eyes turned to flames.

"What do you mean? When did he talk with you?" She asked.

"It doesn't matter Cora, what matters is that you don't lay a hand on your uncle." I warned.

"Are you on his side?" She asked in disbelief, backing away and letting go of my hands.

"It isn't like that Cora, I would never betray you like that" I could tell these words brought her a little relief because her body softened. She still stood there waiting for a explanation.

"James is royalty, or at least he was before Xavier took his family's money and titles before he took over." I paused and watched as Cora looked in to my eyes with shook, wondering why her childhood best friend never mentioned such a thing to her. "Anyway since Xavier knew them so well, he knows everything about them. He even knows where they live now."

I saw Cora's eyes become alert

I took a breath as a single tear fell from my face. I don't know James as well as Cora does, but he is still my friend.

"They took them, kidnapped his family, even the children. They are using them as leverage against you, and maybe even James for all I know." I paused again. "Xavier knew you would come here. He knew that you would try to plot his death. He told me to tell you that if anything happens to him, his assassins will kill James family."

I could hardly see Cora's face in the darkness. I wanted to bad to run to her and comfort her, but the bars prevented me.

"He said" I said and let out a soft sob before I continued. "He said you have to choose Cora. The death of the prince, or James's entire family."

                             ~~~~

I am so sorry for the long wait. My summer has been super busy, but I promise I will update regularly now:)
Please vote and comment your thoughts