Chapter 42

Rubys POV

I starred blankly at the wall from the chair I was sitting on.  I awaited Xavier's presence in his workplace office. My fingers brushed lightly on the red jewels that hung from my neck. I had received many 'gifts' like this from the king for my 'assistance' and the great part is The work was relatively easy for the amount of money I had been receiving.

Xavier came into the room with James shortly behind. James glanced at me then shot me the most dirty look. I had to admit he was quite sexy when angry.

"Anything to report dear Ruby?" Xavier asked.

I stood and straightened my dress like a proper lady would. I felt both pairs of eyes on me as they awaited my answer. I shook my head and gave Xavier a frown.

"I'm sorry your grace, but it's very quiet at the moment." I said truthfully.

I expected him to look angry but he smiled instead. "The silence before the storm." He said reassuring me

I nodded my head to him with a Faint smile, and could feel the heat of anger radiating off of James from across the room.

"And what about you lad?" Xavier asked James.

"Nothing to report sir" james responded Blankly.

Xavier stepped closer to James with a curious look. "Are you lying to me boy?" He asked.

James didn't waver or flinch at the Kings closeness. No, instead to much surprise he let out a laugh.

"No offense sir, but you trust the word of this conniving harlot" he said pointing at me without remorse. "Over someone who you are blackmailing excellently?" He finished. He wouldn't do anything to jeopardize his family's safety.

Xavier smiled a bit at that. "I guess I do have you by the jewels don't I?" He said not really asking but more as a statement.

Xavier walked to his desk and sat down to look at his work. Moments went by before he even noticed we were still there.

"You may leave" he said in a 'duh' tone.

I bowed softy before turning and heading for the door. I noticed Norman was already down the hall. I guess he didn't like being in Xavier's presence more then he had to. I found it so odd at how he acted. What kind of man would turn away money and Jewels?  I decided that my Curiosity had got the best of me and I needed to know. I ran after him with the sound of my high sharp pointed heels clicking and echoing through the walls.

"James" I said happily as I caught up to him.

"What do you want Ruby?" He said without stopping or looking at me.

"Why do you not take the jewels he offers?" I asked as my hand reached my neck on instinct to grab the red Ruby neckless that hung from my neck. The very same one that James had shoved into my hands and told me to 'buy a heart' with it.

"Why do you let me have them all?" I asked "with all of the money you could get from them, you'd surly have enough to make a pretty good life for yourself. You wouldn't have to just be the stable boy." I said curiously awaiting his response.

He stopped walking immediately and faced me. His face was blank as he shook his head down at me.

"It's blood money Ruby" he started softy as if explaining something to a small child. "where do you think all of the lavish things he gives us comes from? I will not build myself up off of the pain and suffering of others." He came closer to me as his hand come up to my neck, grabbing my neckless and rubbing his thumb over it as he stared at it intensely. Shivers ran down my back at the heat of his Touch.

"You can't take these things with you when you go" and by go I was pretty sure he meant death. "You'll only have the memory of your actions, and you'll have eternity to face them." He said as his eyes met mine. They alone spoke a thousand words, if not his entire life's story with just one glance. I saw his hatred and anger for me, but most of all I saw his disappointment, which somehow stung me. "I am perfectly happy being just the stable boy". he said quoting me. 

He let go of my neckless and my chest suddenly felt cold. "Does that answer satisfy you?" He asked.

"Your sadness doesn't satisfy me." I said truthfully before I even thought about it.

He looked taken back by my words. He looked down at his hands as I saw his pain wash over his face.

"I'm doing all of this, betraying my best friend, for my family who I am not even sure are alive." He said. "But you, your doing this simply for money. You don't care about anyone but yourself. So please stop acting like you do" he said harshly before he gave me one last glance and walked off.

I stood there trying to catch my breath. I don't know why I was so hurt or bothered by what he had said, but it stung me all the same.

His actions and words towards his family made me yarn for one of my own. The only family I ever had that actually cared for me was Norman, but he was always busy being williams slave. I suddenly felt envious of James. I felt jealous of how many people cared about him, and how his heart was so open to care for others. He'd seen a lot in this word but never lost his light.

I looked back down at my neckless, remembering the way James had looked at it in disgust. it suddenly felt very heavy.

I walked down the Castle halls, to the giant Irongate. My sharp pointed hells tapped along the Cobblestone as I made my way to the market place. My eyes scanned the area until they landed on the nearest food cart.

I was met by a merchant woman who had flower in her hair. She had a child that couldn't of been older then three pulling at her skirt.

"Not now Louis" she said speaking down to the child. "We have customers" she said then looked up at me with a smile. "Hello milady. What can I get for you?"

I looked down at all of the foods. They smelled amazing and were definitely fresh. "I will take a basket of food now, and one just like it prepared everyday until the Royal wedding of the princess" I said as I pulled my hands up behind my neck to unclasp the ruby necklace.

The woman's eyes went wide. "But milady, that is worth so much more then a few baskets of food"

I looked down at her son who was still, much to her disapproval pulling at her skirt. "I know you'll make good use of it" I said she handed me the basket and said her thanks.

I made my way swiftly to the stables, not making any stops on the way. Once there I notice that James wasn't there. In his place was a boy around 13.

"I saw you approaching milady. Your horse is ready" he said proudly

"Thank you" I said as the small boy did his best to help me in the saddle. He handed me my basket and I rode off with one destination in mind. James's family

~~~~~~

First chapter from Rubys point of view. Please vote and comment your thoughts!

Mariska98