Chapter 21

There I stood outside my mothers door after a sleep deprived, restless night. William hadn't come with me, in fact I hadn't seen him at all today. Maybe I had been a little harsh on him last night but he deserved it. He needed to know just how bad he treated people. You see I know what I have done, And I have excepted it along time ago. But I don't go around stumping on innocent people making there lives a living hell. Who knows? Maybe my uncle had me kill people just because he wanted there money or land, but I didn't know that. I thought they were killing and murdering people and wouldn't stop until someone stopped them. I thought I was doing the world a favor. William is right. I am the monster he said I am, my uncle has made sure of that.

She opened the door and hugged me lovingly before inviting me inside. Her home was extraordinary, by far the finest in the kingdom. We made our way into the large living room before we took our seats on the red plush couch.

"Not that I am not thrilled that you came, but I must ask what brings you here?" She asked

I played with the ruffles on the sleeves of my White gown that Cora picked out for me today. I didn't know how to exactly start this kind of Conversation with my mother.

"I found something at the library." I started

She looked at me and nodded for me to continue.

"It's a Journal from Xavier's first General in command. It said uncle ordered him and his men to slaughter a entire Village. Mother what's going on. What happened?"

She looked at me with sadness and her proper posture slumped.

"It's a long story" she said

"I got nothing but time."

She let out a breath before she begin speaking.

"There were myths and rumors about a Village up in the mountains." She said getting up walking to a nearby window. She pointed to the tall Mountains that i could Barely see.

"Rumors spread around the kingdom that a great evil lived up in the Mountains, and that it was our duty to protect our kingdom before it was to late. Xavier told me that he sent a few of his finest knights to assess if the rumors were true. He said that only one badly injured knight came back and died shorty after telling him that they were so evil that they must be the children of the devil himself."

She looked down at her hands and her eyes closed tightly shut.

"So to avenge the death of his knights your uncle Xavier ordered his entire army to go up the Mountain and... Well you already know that part." She said sadly.

Then she looked up at me and her eyes didn't move, she just stared contemplating whether or not to tell me something.

"I know Cora." She finally said.

"I know about what you can do, what you always been able to do." She finished.

She saw the look of confusion on my face.

"Xavier always told me that the Mountain People were evil sadistic beings that brung nothing but darkness and horror to our world."

She scooted closer to me grabbing my hand. A look of love filled her face.

"But as I looked at you in that basket I found you in, floating down the river I knew you were nothing like that." She said.

I jerked my hand away from hers. Found me? What is she talking about? She gave birth to me for crying out load!

"Mother, have you gone mad?" I asked scared that she wasn't crazy.

"No, sweetheart. Your my daughter and I will always love you but i think it's time you know that I didn't gave birth to you. I found you or more like you found me." She said smiling.

I stood up feeling sucker then yesterday upon finding out my uncle was a cold blooded killer. This couldn't be real? If she isn't my mother then I am not related to her nor my uncle. I am not a princess after all. Where do I even belong?

I turned to my mother with such confused emotions that not even I knew how to feel.

"If your not my mother then where did I come from?" I asked with watering eyes.

"Honey, nothing has changed. I am still your mother. I have loved you and raised you since that blessed day you came into my life. You were my Mericle! Why did you think you were a only child? Have you ever thought about why a Princess of my age isn't married?" She asked softly.

I shook my head not really understanding what she was getting at.

" when I was 16 I married the prince of Layport," she said smiling at the Memory . "but when I couldn't bare children from him he was forced to void our marriage because he needed to carry on the line for the thrown." She finished sadly.

"Who would marry a woman who couldn't reproduce? I thought god hated me so I began to reject him. But one day I was out by the stream and there you came like a prayer answered, you are my Mericle!" She said warmly. I couldn't help but smile.

"You said that I came from a Stream that goes down the mountain. that means I am like the things that people called the devils children. Do you think that's what I am?" I asked frightened.

"No sweetheart, Your nothing like that, don't ever think that. watching you all These years has made me doubt your uncles words. I really don't think that he is telling the full story. I don't think the Mountain people were pure evil. I think they were just like us but a bit more special.. Like you" she said with a smile. Then her face darkened. " I don't think that they killed his knights." She said truthfully.

"But then who did? I asked in wonder, then my head snapped back up to hers. She saw the look on my face and shook her head. "No Cora, don't even think that." She said shocked.

Don't think that? After all I found out today my mind is doing nothing but thinking and putting the pieces together.

"He killed them himself!" I accused.

***
Please vote and comment your thoughts! ☺️💕👌 (mariska98)