010 ➳ Taunt

"It's hard not to be a fighter when you're constantly under siege." - Cassandra Duffy

❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

Evelyn Hall's POV - 16 / 08 / 2011 : Beacon Hills Vet

"I'm starting to think I need to buy a more prominent, 'closed' sign." I tilted my head, as a light chuckle escaped my lips. Scott now well hidden in the closet, I was able to rest at ease.

"Hello, Alan. It's been a while. The last I heard, you had retired." Gerard scrutinising the veterinarian, his tone laced with venom.

"Last I heard you followed a code of conduct." Deaton retorted, a glare sent at the hunters as he looked at the body being lain on his silver table.

"And you?" Gerard continuing, his voice becoming cold and emotionless as he took a threatening step forward. I nodded solemnly before smirking,

"I-I I'm sorry I aided Peter into killing your," I continued my voice becoming harsher, "petty bitch of a daughter!" Chris stepped in between us his attention focused on my claws wearily as his eyes flickered between the dead body and Deaton's.

"If you hadn't noticed, this body is one of ours." I snorted,

"Yeah I noticed, another one of your 'best,' I presume?" The hunter's ignored my remark as Deaton spoke up.

"I did, I also noticed the gunpowder residue on his finger tips. So don't assume I will be swayed by your philosophy just 'cause I'll answer a few questions."

"He was only 24." Chris argued his tone desperate and full of despair for his lost solider.

"Killers come in all ages." Deaton accused, as he settled besides the body.

"All ages, sizes, shapes. It's the last one that concerns us." Gerard said, taking a step closer to Deaton and I.

"You know what concerns me? Your face, because it is so bloody ugly-" Deaton gripped my arm tugging me backwards as I snarled.

"How about you tell us what you found?" Chris said once again ignoring my attempts at getting under Gerard's seemingly impenetrable skin. I wonder what my fangs might do?

"See this cut? Precise. Almost surgical. This isn't the wound that killed him. This had a more interesting purpose." Deaton said, as his hands traced the outline of a faint mark.

"Relating to the spine." Gerard confirmed, as I clapped mockingly.

"That's right. Whatever made this cut, it's laced with a paralytic toxin, potent enough to disable all motor functions. These are the cause of death. Notice the patterns on each side."

"Five for each finger." Chris said as he followed Deaton's movements.

"Each claw." Gerard said in a tantalising tone, as I scowled.

"How many fingers does it take to light a fire and burn a whole house down? Hmm?" I hummed as I smirked at Gerard who grew agitated by my snide remarks.

"As you can see, it dug in, slashed upward, eviscerating the lungs and slicing through the bone of the rib cage with ease." Deaton continued,

"Have you ever seen anything like this before?" Chris asked, as Deaton shook his head. I smiled,

"Oh but I 'ave, a nasty little chap 'e was," Russ stepped out of my shadow, a smirk on his face as he eyed the hunter's, his accent over-pronounced, his tone resembling that of cockiness.

"What killed him?" Chris demanded, looking between Russ and I.

I shrugged, "I dunno, why don't you ask Kate." I paused an exaggerated sigh escaping my lips, "Oh wait, she's dead." Chris's and Gerard's faces twitched with anger as they turned back to Deaton.

"I don't know, as I said. But I can tell you it's fast, remarkably strong, and has the capacity to render its victims essentially helpless within seconds." I chuckled,

"I could do that too," I said, the world blurring in front of me as I sped to an awaiting hunter gripping his neck in my hands I hoisted him up. "Just a-" I began to bend his neck, "snap to the neck." I dropped him, his breathing heavy as I walked casually to stand besides Deaton. Chris eyed me up, his hand resting on his gun before relaxing.

"If you're saying we should be cautious? We get it." Deaton shook his head slowly, his eyes glancing around the room before resting on Gerard.

"I'm saying you should be afraid. Be very afraid. Because in the natural world, predators with paralytic toxins use them to catch and eat their prey. This prey wasn't eaten. That means whatever killed him only wanted to kill him. In fact, killing may be its only purpose."

❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖❖

"Oh. Nice. It's real sanitary. Quality establishment you're running here." Stiles mumbled, as he closed the door to the office. I stood guard, aware of another presence here. Surrounding the premises were Russ, Aneirin, Josh, Dawn and Ana. My hearing was trained on the howl that I awaited, as I listened to Stiles wipe his hand on his clothes.

"Figures." He groaned. Cluttering could be heard in the room as he began to struggle. I watched as his body slumped to the ground; his cries echoing in the room soon followed by the mechanic, who had also been attacked by the paralysing substance.
"Help me. Help me. Help! Help... Help me. Help me. Help me." The mechanic's screams echoed around the large establishment, as I scoured for the source of all this. The Kanima, it's tail flicking in the air as it made it's move to escape.

I howled, the howl itself shattering the windows with-in close proximity to me. Together, we ran full fledged in pursuit of the creature, as it dashed out of the window.

"9 1 1, what's your emergency?" the operator's voice rung out, I faltered. 'Stiles will be safe,' Agnes whispered, as I continued running. The Kanima now long gone. We stood in the middle of a street, three blocks away from the mechanic's garage, Josh, Ana, and Dawn looking at me expectedly, as Russ and Aneirin merely stood, similar smug smiles on their faces.

"Well, that was an ultimate fail." Aneirin said, his arm wrapping around my waist, too tired to resist I sunk into his side.

"Yeah, let's head home," I smirked, "school tomorrow children."