Chapter 31

I didn't see anything. I didn't see a thing. I didn't see it. What did I see? ...Oh my god I saw it.

But I didn't hear anything. I didn't hear a thing. I didn't hear it. What am I talking about? I saw and heard everything. I'm so dead. I felt all the blood in my face escape me as I dragged myself back to my room. I should have never left. I should stayed in bed like I was told.

Half way to the room Beth walks out of a room. She was holding a few towels, looking at me, she gasped. "Dawn?"

"Someone said I was dead, right?" She nodded once. What is this, the third time? Really people?

"Dawn? Are you alright? You look like you just saw a ghost. Or are you one?" I heard laughter from down the hallway and I made no time for any more chitchat. Grabbing Beth's arm I pulled her back into the room she just exited out of. "What's going on?" Quickly I pressed my body onto the door hoping no one will try to come in. "Dawn!" She yelled.

"Shh." I smacked my hand on her mouth. "Listen, Mel. Mylanta is bad news. She..." I paused when I heard her voice getting closer to the door. "I'm not here." Slipping pass her. I quickly go under the bed, holding my breath.

"Really? Your hiding?" She yelled.

"What's going on I heard yelling?" Mel had opened the door. I could see her feet moving further into the room.

"River. She's hiding again." Beth said quickly and sweetly at the same time. "Kids. Their so energetic."

"I'll help." What? When did you become so nice? Was it because of Crevan? Maybe she knows! Oh god get rid of her Beth, I thought to myself.

"No, that's alright milady. There's no need for you to do something so pointless. Besides I already checked this room. If you excuse me, I must get back to work." Beth turned and walked to the closet and started to mess around. Mel stood by the door as we waited for her to leave.

"Alright." She said before leaving. Finally, I was able to breath again. Without knowing that Beth was now beside the bed she pulled the blanket up.

"What the hell is going on?"

"I wish I knew." I answered getting myself out from under the bed. "I saw Mel and Crevan doing..." I paused as I sat up trying to think what I saw. Which I wish I didn't see.

"Adultery?" she raised an eyebrow. I nodded my head once. "That's normal. They're a couple after all."

"How long?"

"Ten weeks. Well in the human world ten years." Ten years? My head felt like it was spinning. Everything was coming together to fast that it was becoming too much.

I remembered what Melantha said about Connor. Was it true? "Were..." I'm scared to find out. "Were Mel and Connor engaged?" I could hear the shakiness in my voice.

She looked away, looking at the door than the wall and too the floor. "Yes, it was back when the young master and the young milady were still in their twenties. Back then it was normal for royalty to marry a cousin or even a sibling. It was how they kept the last name. But over the years of their engagement. The young master Connor only wished to marry someone he loved. And because Master Victor was already wed. Marika tried to make him understand that he had to marry Melantha. But he refused even more. That's when he fell for his first human slave. He kept it a secret but we all knew. Over the years he has fallen for many woman. But all are gone. Some believe it is because he disobeyed his parents and became cursed." She squeezed the towels in her hand.

I could see the pain in her eyes. Placing a hand over hers, "I'm sorry about Nina. But Connor didn't kill her. He loved her and he still does." She quickly got up shaking her head. "I know who did it." I smiled weakly. Almost as if I was trying to hide it.

"Who?" She asked quickly.

"Mel."

She sighed with a smile on her face. "Really? You're going to blame Mel for all this. She's all talk everyone knows that."

"It's true. Crevan even knows about it." I almost yelled at her as I got up off the floor. "He was telling her to give up on trying to kill me. To give up on Connor. But she wants him. She won't stop until he gives up on love." She looked at me as if I was a crazy person. "You don't believe me?" I said weakly. "No one believes me. I see." I said slowly. What am I to do? How can I make them see that I'm telling the truth? "I'm sorry if I hurt you." I slowly make my way out of the room to Connor's.

Will Connor listen to me? No he would just yell at me. Telling me that I'm childish. At this rate no one will know and I'll be dead. And River will lose another mother. Connor will be alone. And Mel will win.

Standing in front of Connors door I opened it and turned on the lights. Looking at the ground I slowly walked in and shut the door behind me. Going to the bed I heard a muffling sound that make me look up. On the bed I found River tied up covered in tears with marks on her face. "Oh my god." Almost turning around I felt a hard hit in the back of the head and the only thing I hear before blacking out was.

"I finally have you."