Chapter 7 (Edited)

"Dawn," someone called my name out. I didn't respond immediately. "Dawn," the voice said again.

"Here, I'm here," I said hitting the wall that was blocking my light. It's so dark in here, I'm starting to think I'm dead.

"What are you doing in here?" Rachelle said as she opened the door. I never thought I would be happy to see her emotionless face ever again. I attacked her with my arms in a hug. Wrapping my arms around her. Light sweet light, how I missed you.

"Don't ever leave me with her again," I cried. The she-devil, I can't wait until I tell her mother. She probably won't punish her. Oh well.

"What were you doing in that box?" She questioned. What was I doing? What were you doing? I thought to myself. I saw that it was night time. I can't leave now, it's dark, they're up. My phone! That's right I had a phone. Morgan, I have to call her. "Are you going to answer me?"

"My clothes, where are they?" I quickly asked.

"We burned them," I think my heart just skipped a beat. My phone was in the back pocket of my jeans, and I took them off. The phone needed to be changed anyway. This sucks. Why me? All I wanted to do was get cat food! Mr. Piccolo, you owe me big time mister, just you wait. "You want to leave, don't you?" Heh, now why would you think that?

"No," I lied. I can't lie to save my life. It's probaly written all over my face.

"It's written all over your face," for a second I thought I saw a smile on her stone face.

"Who doesn't want to leave? Connor left me here without saying 'thanks for the blood'. He left me," I wanted to cry, run, fall, and go to sleep.

"The young Lord is very busy and he doesn't spend a lot of time at home. Not after all he has been through. Please, try to bear with it," she said as she looked at me.

"I feel like I was thrown into a marriage that I didn't agree with. And now I have a sister-in-law that cuts off my hair, and locks me into a box," I said shaking my head.

"So that's what's different," Rachelle reached over and touched my hair. "It's uneven," I couldn't help but laugh. Her eyes became gentle as she bowed her head. "I can't take you back home, but because the young Lord had put you in my care, you may stay with me and my people until he returns."

And that's what I did, Rachelle had taken me to a camp filled with tents and children running around. It looked like what an Indian tribe would look like. A few fire pits, and families staying close to each other, laughing, smiling. Drums beating as people howled and danced. It seemed peaceful.

"Lady Rachelle," a very tall and muscular man said as he got on one knee. "We have some trouble in the main tent," without saying a word she walked passed him as he quickly got up. Keeping his head down he followed, and so did I.

The closer we got to this main tent the drumming became louder as a soft cry was mixed into it. The soft cry grew louder to the point where the drums could no longer cover it. A large red tent filled with candles and cries, stood in front of us.

"How long as she been like this?" Rachelle asked.

"Since this afternoon," nodding her head she walked into the tent. I was about to follow but the man took my arm. Shaking his head, he didn't let me go in there. Looking at the red tent, I heard painful cries echoing out of the tent. Painful cries that made my heart sink. Placing my hand on his, I pushed him away and quickly ran in.

It was nothing I have ever seen before. The woman was naked as her body started to turn blue. Was she dying?

Rachelle, held her hand as another woman cut open her stomach, blood covered the naked woman's body. The woman who cut open her stomach, wrapped a baby in a blanket. This lady holding the child saw me and gave the child to me, and smiled. "Watch it," she said.

My eyes drifted to the baby, as it cried. It was gross looking, but it was beautiful at the same time. I found a wet cloth and cleaned off the blood and whatever else was on it. The child's cry softly came to a stop. But its mothers cries continued, painfully. I watched Rachelle help her as the lady tried to comfort her.

"Take care of my baby, please. My baby," I walked over to her so she could see the infant. "My baby," she cried softly. "Mommy loves you," she choked on something. I tried with all my power not to cry, not to hold the infant so close to me, to the point I was squeezing it. The mother touched her baby's cheek and smiled, like in the movies, her hand dropped and her smile was gone.

I thought to myself not to let her go. That the child needed her. The lady bowed her head in silence as Rachelle stared at the body. The child started to cry again, startling me. I tried to rock the infant. "What do we do with the child?" a woman asked.

"There's nothing we can do, we burn it with the mother," shocked by Rachelle's answer. I held the child close to me, protecting it.

"You can't do that!" I will fight for you, little one.

"Who will feed the child and take care of it?"

"Does anyone have breast milk?" I asked. The baby screamed as I rocked it some more.

"There would not be enough," she bowed her head, sighing loudly.

"You can't just give up on the kid," I yelled.

"Do you want it to suffer? Its an orphan, it has no reason to live but in shame," she got up ready to leave.

"Shame," I repeated after her, it was like a forbidden thing to say. She said nothing and left. From outside the red tent, I heard a howl of cries. The woman held her hands out to me so I would give her the child but I refused. This is wrong. Why would you do this?

"Please, the child will not be able to live without its mother. We are doing what is best," she said softly.

"Well it sucks," I felt a hot tears run down my cold cheeks.

"If you want to save the child, let me clean the infant up, and see the sex," I gave her the child and watched her every move very carefully. I was not going to fall for any tricks. "You're not one of us, are you?" she asked without looking at me.

"No," I answered back. I watched her open the blanket showing a baby girl.

"And you don't smell like a vampire," she said smiling.

"I know," I smiled back.

"You should stay here for the night. It's going to be a cold one," she wrapped the baby in a new blanket as the child tried to open its eyes. "She's beautiful."

Smiling, I remembered when my sister was born. My father would say he was the luckiest man on earth. "Where is her father?" I asked.

"Oh, you don't know?" she questioned as she handed me the baby. "If our mate dies, we die. It's been that way since the first of our kind. Who are you?" She asked.

"I'm Dawn, the human," I said softly.