Chapter 29

"Dawn! Your going to be late!" I heard dad banging on my door.

"Alright dad, I'm getting up," I moaned lifting myself up. Rubbing my eyes, I moved off the bed to the door. Walking into the empty hallway I could hear laughter in the dining room. "What's for breakfast?" I asked.

"Food, now come sit." Dad order pulling the seat out for me like he always did. I could hear mom shuffling around the kitchen. She called out to dad and like he always does he quickly went to her side. Never did my step dad leave her side. He was always there like a dog. Smirking dad came out of the kitchen holding two plates of eggs, bacon, and toast. Mom followed him with another plate of food and a pitcher of orange juice in hand.

"Marcus, don't forget to get the tree on your way home. I don't want to wait at the last minute."

"I didn't forget, honey," he smiled as he came in for a kiss.

Christmas was in a few weeks and it was mom's favourite holiday. Dad didn't care for the holidays unless it was Halloween. He liked the jack-o-lanterns, the costumes and the  mischief filled nights. The whole thing. Last year he and I ran out of the house when mom was asleep and t-ped a couple homes in the neighbourhood. We even egged dad's boss' car.

"And Marcus while your out can you pick up that 'thing' at the store." She asked as he pulled her seat out for her.

"Yes. Do you need anything else while I'm out?" he asked taking a seat at the end of the table.

"Not that I can think of. I'll call you if I do," she smiled taking her fork of the table. Dad poured us juice as mom and I ate.

"Mom?"

"Yes baby?" She said swallowing her food.

"Do you think that when the baby is born that everything will be the same?"

She looked at dad and he looked at her. "Well," dad said. "No little one, not everything is going to be the same. For one thing your mom may stay fat."

"Marcus!" Mom shouted. She quickly slapped his shoulder as he smirked.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." He repeated laughing.

"Geez." She said puffing her cheeks. Giggling I knew then that everything was going to be okay. Dad loved mom and she loved him. Every day the house was filled with laughter and joy. Even when that day came. Christmas eve was the day when mom ended up in the hospital.

That night it started with a scream and yelling. I got up to check on mom and dad was running all over the place. He was muttering to himself. Asking himself what he should do and were was the bag. "Dad?"

He stopped pacing around and stood in front of me. "Dawn." He was breathing heavily in panic. We looked at each other in silence until mom screamed dad's name. He jogged in place running his finger through his hair. "What do I do?"

Annoyed. "Go take her to the hospital." He glanced over to me. "Don't think, just do it." He gave me a serious face and nodded his head. Next thing I know he runs in their room and comes back out carrying her out of the room to the front door. Within seconds he had her in the car and heading to the hospital. "Idiot, you left me. You could think a little."

Walking up to the front door that was still opened, I waited a couple minutes by the door for him to get me. I sighed with a smile. "Well that's okay." I thought. Placing my hand on the door. I was ready to shut it until I saw a black figure standing in the middle of the road looking down the road. At the direction that dad was heading. Watching this person, he slowly moved his head towards my direction. Slowly taking a deep breath I shut the door, locked, and stared at it until I could breath again.