Chapter 18

I don't know how long I looked at that door. Waiting for him to come in. Connor wasn't a man who said sorry or came running back. I was waiting for nothing but a dream. If only I didn't open my mouth, but I was free now, right? He told me to leave, I can go home. I smiled quickly at the thought but it faded. I felt bad, and deep inside I didn't want to leave. I didn't want to return home even when I knew there were people waiting for me. Are they?

I jumped when I heard a knock at the boor. "Yes?" smiling, Rachelle slipped through the door. "Rachelle, what are you doing here?" I knew my smile became fake.

"I didn't see you in the nursery so I came to check on you," she shut the door, and watched me.

"I'm not feeling well, I'm sorry that I worried you," gazing at the clock, it was close to twelve, I have been sitting here for five hours. God I need a life.

"I wasn't," I let out a sound that could have been a laugh. Getting up, I headed to the door but Rachelle grabbed my arm. Squeezing it, I tried to pull and swing my arm to get her to let go. "You're naked," she said coldly looking me up and down. Turning me around, she pushed me to the bed. "Were you a victim of a vampire attack, or was owned by another vampire?"

"I guess you can call me a victim," narrowing my eyes at her. The scars that made me hate myself and every vampire I met but not all vampires are bad. I just got to be careful.

"Connor knows about this?" she asked.

"Yes," I said with a sigh.

"How?" she found the red dress on the floor and handed it to me.

"How it happened?" I said taking the dress from her. Playing with the fabric I smiled remember those moments of the nightmare. Being grabbed, beaten, bitten, and toyed with. "Huh, I agreed to it," tears ran down my cheeks, I let this body become the way it is for my sister and I never regretted it. "It doesn't matter now, it's in the past and I like to keep it that way."

Reading my mood she changed the subject. "Get dressed and go into the nursery. River has been waiting for you, and hasn't stopped crying since she woke."

"She's crying?" breaking my moody self I quickly put the dress over my head, struggling to get it on.

"Can't you hear her?" I must have blocked out my surroundings. But how can I not hear her? Rachelle finally helped me, as soon as the dress was on I dashed out of the room, almost tripping on the way out. It was then in that hall way I heard the soft cries through the nursery doors. She was being rocked by Beth which surprised me a little.

"I'm sorry, I can't seem to stop her," she said. Beth and I met at the center of the room and she handed me that small crying child. River, she's grown bigger. Looking at me, she smiled showing off a baby tooth.

"A baby tooth," I said turning to Rachelle who stood at the door.

"Werewolves children grow much fast then humans do. By five weeks she will look more like a five year old. And another five weeks from there she will be ten, then she will start to age more like a human," she said coming toward her. "When she shifts for the first time, she will age slowly again."

"Why age fast the then start to slow down. What's the point of enjoying the moments with your children?"

"We try to make the most of them," Beth said sadly. She watched River chew on her fingers and gave a gently smile. "I'm sorry for my actions. I shouldn't have gotten angry with you."

"I forgive you, even if something did happen with you and Connor. It is not my place to get in the middle of it," I felt like a liar. I know why she's upset with Connor, and I am kind of putting myself in the middle. "Where is the lady from yesterday?"