Chapter 17

Most of the night I kept to myself, trying not to bring any attention to me. With my head down, I didn't want to look at Victors cold eyes again. I really didn't want to think he killed those girls, but he gave me this look that said, 'target found, must kill,' like what am I to think?

Once dinner was over, we headed to the living area where the men spoke about the 'human world'. As for Marika and Melantha, they were fighting about something, I didn't really care for it. Most of the time I found myself nodding my head, it was past midnight, the last time I checked. Who talks this much? Then again I never really talk much.

I thought about joining Marika and Melantha's conversation but I thought it would be rude of me not to mention that Mel would take my head. It was reasonable only because I hit her. But I had too, her mouth... she pissed me off. At least I still got it, getting into fights was my specialty and here I thought I was getting soft.

I felt someone sit beside me as I shifted. Not thinking I leaned over to the person to rest my head but soon felt warm hands go behind my back and under my legs. Opening my heavy eyelids I saw Connors blue suit and back into darkness. His scent filled my senses.

In and out of sleep, he headed to River's room but passed it. What was he doing? He opened his bedroom door, taking me to his bed. In all truth I never really slept in the same bed as him. I would lay there but could never sleep. I would always sleep at his desk or the floor. It didn't really bother me as much.

He covered me in the blanket, placed a hand on my forehead as it slid down to my hair and then the pillow. His warm lips rested on my forehead, and his time I really tried to open my eyes but I was too far back to do so. What if his is just a dream? My wish to have him, to have him touch me, to take me. In this wonderful dream I found the energy to see a shadow into the darkness walk to the door. Leaving me for the light on the other side. Reaching out I wanted to touch him but couldn't. Watching the door slowly close, like in a nightmare, I fell into a deep sleep.

***

The gentle summer breeze washed over me, watching the ocean waves clash into each other. The sound of seagulls filled my ears mixed with the sound of the water. The sand was hot under my feet as I let my toes dig into it. When was the last time I stud in front of the sea like this?

'Hello,' a voice said behind me.

"Hello," I said without looking back. She came to my side and watched the waves.

'Are you thinking about crossing too,' the tone of her voice was sad almost.

"Crossing? What's on the other side," looking out there was nothing but the sun falling down.

'I don't know, I can't cross yet but I assume loved ones are on the other side of these waters,' she smiled. Her long, brown hair touched the middle of her back, her bangs cover her eyes but they were still visible. She had a cat like look to her, just like my sister.

Behind her I say a little boy, maybe six, watching the water. Reaching out his arms I watched him start to walk. Was he trying to kill himself? I walked around the girl to get to him but she grabbed my arm. 'You can't stop him, trust me, I have tried before. People who come here come and go. And the only way to leave is to cross.'

"What is this place," I asked.

'A place between life and death... I guess,' she said letting go of my arm.

"Are you..."

'No,' she said quickly. 'I'm dreaming right know. And because I can talk to you and that you can see me. Then you're dreaming too. You see, only the spirit may cross into this place but we can never cross the sea, until it is time.'