George Imagine for @221Bfangirl

Lily's POV
It was a free period and I was currently trying to tame my frizzy dark brown hair. Normally I would leave it, but recently, I've realized feelings for my best friend. It's your typical friend falls in love with friend story. After trying (and failing), I dropped the brush down onto my vanity and looked up at my reflection.

I was always very confident in my looks. How my skin was naturally spotless. My nose in it's perfect form. And my stunning emerald eyes. But I can't help but feel a little self conscious around the attractive redhead. Giving up, I sighed and slumped out of the Gryffindor common room, and to the Great Hall for lunch.

George's POV
Finally. The gorgeous girl walked in. Of course I couldn't exactly say it out loud. She was my best friend after all. Fred notices my staring and nudges my arm.

"You finally gonna do it? You can't chicken out again."

I had wanted to ask Lily to the Yule Ball for quite some time now, but every attempt ends with my face growing as red as my hair. I decided right then and there, I would ask her.

Lily gingerly waves to us and walks over to the Gryffindor table.

"How was Potions?"

"Horrible." replied Fred, a little too eager. "Snape has us writing four feet about the effects of Bezoar."

Lily grimaced, clearly shaken up by the fact she too would have that same fate.

Lily's POV
"So um Lily?"

I look up to George who's looking at me rather weird.

"Yeah?"

"Well I was wondering if yo- if you um wou- would go practice Quidditch with Fred and I later tonight?"

Fred clearly looked disappointed. Why? I do not know. I assume Fred was counting on George to ask me something, but like the person he is, George chickened out.

I nodded in agreement as soon as a solitary owl burst its way through the window. Owls normally did not come this time of day. Everyone in the hall went silent. Me as well. I obviously did not expect it, but the owl placed a envelope right in front of me.

I examined it more closely and realized it was the dreaded Howler. Fred and George realized it too.

"Lily's got a Howler!"

"Wonder what she's in trouble for."

"Hope she'll be expelled."

Everyone had varying opinions on my Howler. Hesitantly I opened the Howler.

"Good evening Lily Colburn. I have sent you this, with upmost regret, to inform you that you are the dumbest, filthiest Mudblood I have ever met. Personally, I believe you should not have the privilege to exist in this world. I suggest you leave Hogwarts and pursue a career in the art of stupidity. Have a nice day."

The Howler shriveled up and the hall burst into laughter. With tears in my eyes, I sprang up and ran out, and into the nearest empty classroom.

George's POV
The hall erupted in laughter and Lily abruptly stood up, and sprinted out of the hall. I immediately ran after her.

"Lily?! Come on dear, where are you?"

I looked inside an empty classroom and saw a huddled up figure, sobs racking their body.

"Lily?"

She looked up at me. I sat down next to her.

"You know, whoever sent that Howl-"

"It was Malfoy."

"Okay well Malfoy obviously sent that because he's jealous of how amazing and beautiful, and smart you are."

"You really mean that George?"

"Yeah I sincerely do.... Hey Lily I was wondering if maybe you would give me the immense pleasure of escorting you to the Yule Ball?"

Lily looked up at me with those gorgeous emerald orbs.

"I would be honored to."