Chapter Eleven

Blake dropped down onto the ground beside me as I finished the last page of the book he had leant me yesterday. I instantly slid away from him.

    “I thought you said you weren’t going to read that?” he asked, his tone good humoured as always.

    “Don’t you ever have school?” I snapped at him, ignoring his question.

    “Firstly, it’s summer, I don’t know about you, but usually, there’s no school in summer,” he said. I blushed in embarrassment at that, but I masked it by glaring at him. He grinned and continued.

    “Secondly, I’m not in school anymore, I just graduated before summer,” he said.

    “No college?”

    “Nope,” he said popping the p noise.

    I glanced at him. “Seriously?”

    “Yup,” he said, he paused for a moment before continuing. “I’m in a band.”

    I didn’t take my eyes off him and scanned his face to see if he looked like he was joking. And then, I snorted.

    “You’re in a band?” I asked him scornfully.

    “Yes,” he said looking confused at my tone.

    “And you have a fan base and a record deal and all the works?”

    He hesitated. “Well, I’m not sure about the ‘fan base’, but we have a Facebook page with a few likes. And uh, no, we don’t have a record deal… yet.”

    I rolled my eyes at him. “You probably have rich parents that can support you through being an unemployed bum then.” He shrugged, looking away from me.

    Maybe this will be the reason for him to finally give up and leave.

    How wrong I was. There was silence between us for barely thirty seconds when he started up again.

    “Do you play any instruments?” he asked me.

    “No,” I said curtly. I wondered whether I could complain to the staff here about Blake. But it was only a half-hearted thought.

    “Ah.” He waited, looking at me expectantly.

    “What?” I asked him feeling uncomfortable as I edged away from him a little bit more.

    “Aren’t you even the least bit interested about the band I just told you I’m in? What I do in it?”

    I sighed.

    “I play the rhythm guitar and I sing,” he said taking my sigh as a cue to tell me what he did. I looked at him sceptically.

    “You can sing?” I asked.

    “Yes,” he said smiling.

    “Uhuh,” I said surprised at what I was finding out about this blonde boy.

    “But I can also play other stuff,” he said. He took the look I gave him as another cue to go on. “I can play the piano, the drums also the flute and well the bass.”

    I gave a short laugh. “The flute?” Despite my tone, I was actually impressed by how musical he seemed to be. I always wanted to try this music thing.

    “I learned when I was ten,” he said. “I still play it for fun sometimes, who knows when it might come useful.”

    “Yeah, maybe you’ll have to play a giant three headed dog to sleep,” I said and his eyes widened and he pointed at me with both his index fingers.