Chapter 25: Not Understanding

•I want to give everyone a big thank you to everyone who was  apart of the video and apologize for some inconvenience~ Sam

Awake ~25

Claire Johnson

We stop down the road from a house that has probably the whole senior class. It's a party like Shawn said, but whose? He turns off the engine and smiles at me.

"Whose party?" I ask.

"Ari's and Rachel." I look at him confused for a moment. Ohh...

"Shawn..." I start.

"Carla and everyone insisted for me to come, but I told them I was going to stay with you." I don't say anything. "They told me to invite you since you're apart of the senior events," he beams.

"That's great..." I smile a little and unsure about this. Does he not understand I want nothing to do with them? He quickly gets out and helps me out. He takes my hand and we make our way over to the loud house.  "I've never been to a school party," I say as we get closer.

"Well now is your chance with people you know." I don't really know them.

"Okay." We approach the house and as soon as we get in, everyone yells out 'hey' and cheers for us. I find it a bit uncomfortable with all the attention towards me. People come over to us.

"You guys are so cute together!"

"Hi Claire! Welcome back!"

"Ready to party?" Random people I don't really know asks and I squeeze Shawn's hand.  He squeezes back and reassures me that everything will be okay. I smell alcohol here. Shawn begins to talk to them and more people join in on the conversation.

I look around and there are so many people. I don't see Kayleigh. I'm not sure if she's here. Soon Carla, Rachel and Ariana comes through the crowd with blue solo cups. 

"Hey Shawn," Ari says.

"Glad you two could make it," Rachel smiles.

"Thank you for the invite," Shawn replies.

"No problem. Want a drink?" I look at Shawn and he smiles.

"Yeah, I'll take something."

"Shawn," I say. He turns to me.

"What?" He looks at me. Carla hands him a cup and he takes a gulp before making a funny face and smile. Everyone cheers for him.

"How about you Claire?" Rachel asks.

"No thank you."

"Party pooper," Ariana says. Everyone 'boos' and Shawn chuckles. I turn to Shawn.

"Can we go home please?"I ask quietly to him.

"I don't want to leave Claire. We came here to have fun." I look at Carla and she's smiling. She wants me to look bad.

"I want to go back."

"We just got here Claire. Relax."

"Then give me the keys."

"No." I let go of his hand. Everyone is watching us.

"Come on Claire, listen to your boyfriend. Have some fun," Carla says.

"I'm not going to get drunk after-"

"Claire, we came here to get your mind off things," Shawn says. He takes another sip into the cup. I can't believe he's really drinking alcohol right now.

"Well, let's play a game," Rachel chimes and everyone nods their heads.

"Are you going to play?" Shawn asks. I shake my head.

"Come on Claire."

"No."

"Fine, be that way then." He walks over to the group circle they formed, leaving me alone. I look at Shawn disappointed and make my way towards the kitchen to try and find something that is a non-alcoholic drink. I go into the fridge and found a bottle of water and try to find something to do.

~Hours Later~

I push my small body through sweaty and smelling teens on the dance floor. I make my way out the front door and make it at least a block before I stop with a pounding headache. The music is so loud and the smell makes me dizzy. I can't believe Shawn would do that.

Tears brim my eyes for the first time in about a week with the exception of slightly tearing up when I visit my parents grave. I sniffle and start to walk the direction of my house. I think. I wouldn't know since I've never been to this neighborhood and my phone is at home.

I start to cry to myself wiping my face hoping I get home okay. I'm cold and I'm hungry. I can't believe Shawn would take me there. I hug myself trying to keep warm and see some light from a distance. I check my pocket and find a few dollars. I'm so glad for the random change.

As I get closer, I notice it's a twenty- four hour Starbucks. I haven't been to one in awhile. I walk in and notice how empty it is. It's around three in the morning and I tell the worker my order and pay with the little cash I had. I ordered a bacon and Gouda breakfast sandwich with a venti Java chip frappé. They tell me they would bring it to me when they finish and I nod making my way over to a booth.

I look down at my hands tired and disappointed with Shawn. I thought he would know better. I've finally made my decision.

"Claire?" I look up to see two familiar faces.

•Who do you think they are?

•Shawn! What are you doing?! You are messing everything up that I had planned for you two! Lol okay I should 🙈