Chapter 17: Having Peace?

•Where are you from?

Awake ~17

Claire Johnson

Both Cam and I place flowers on both of my parents graves. We both sat down and I read to myself what is on their stones.

"Hey mom, hey dad," I spoke with a small smile. "I'd like you to meet one of my amazing best friends, Cameron."

"Hi Mr and Mrs. Johnson," he said politely.

"Cameron has been taking really good care of me these past few weeks and when I was in my... Coma. I uhh, hit my head and I guess I was in the hospital for a few weeks, but Cameron has been very supportive and he's watching me now until I graduate," I bit my lip a little. It's really getting into habit now.

"Mr and Mrs Johnson," Cam started. "I want to thank you for an amazing girl like Claire and she's the smartest and nicest girl I've ever met. I'm honored to have met her and we became friends instantly. I'll take very good care of her." I smiled a little and hugged him from the side. I look back at the stones.

"I was going to surprise you on my graduation day, but I... I'm valedictorian and giving the graduation speech. I wish you guys could have come. I hope maybe on my graduation day I can come here and give my speech to you guys," I say hopefully.

~Two and a half hours later~

"And that's what happened before I drove back here with Shawn," I said finishing my story. "I hope you can meet Shawn soon and maybe my other friends here too. I really miss you guys a lot." Cam helped me stand up and I rest my hand on both of their stones. "I love you guys and I'll see you soon," I say quietly feeling sad. I turn to Cam.

"Ready to go?" I nod and we make our way back to my car.

~Back at the house~

Cam unlocks the door for me and we both walk in. I see Shawn facing the other way while Nash and Taylor can see me clearly. Shawn turned around and smiled at me. He put down a bag and walked over to hug me then quickly peck my lips.

"Hey, I want to show you something," he says excitedly. He takes my hand and lead me over to the couch. He pulled out his tux and smiled excitedly.

"Shawn I love it," I say softly not really feeling the prom jitters. Then he takes out his tie and I frown. "You already bought the tie? Shawn I hate that color..." I've never really liked that color and it usually gives me bad luck. Very long story, but ever since I've hated the color. Nash eyes widens and Taylor's mouth shapes into an 'o'.

"You hate the color?" He frowned "Isn't this the color for your dress?"

"No... I didn't get my dress yet... I told you I didn't get it yet. Shawn can you please take the tie back?"

"No, I'm not taking it back. I already paid for this."

"Then we're not going to match... Why would you get a tie already?"

"Just... Never mind," he mumbled shoving the tie in the bag. "I'll go buy another tie when you get the dress." So it's 'just' a dress now.

"I'll just find a dress that matches," I sigh willing to deal with the color.

"Oh now you want me to wear it? Make up you mind Claire," he said a little irritated like I've been bothering him.

"It's so you do-"

"Just go buy your dress Claire. Whatever, I'll just get another tie!" He took the bag and walked up the stairs and I hear the door slam. I jump a little. Everyone looked at me. I make my way up the stairs and go into my room to see Shawn on my bed.

"Shawn?"I ask quietly.

"What?"

"What's gotten into you?"

"Nothing. This is your prom not mine so let's just do whatever alright," he says still pretty irritated. I don't want whatever. I want it to mean something.

"Shawn?"

"What?!" He looked towards me raising his voice and my eyes widens a little frightened.

"I-I..." I turn around and walk out of my room down to the kitchen and into my back yard. I walk over to the swing bringing my legs up to my chest feeling a little shaky.

He's never yelled at me like that. I don't know what has gotten into him, but I'm more scared than comfortable around him now. He said I could talk to him, but now he's scaring me.

•Why Shawn? What's going on with him and I swear Shawn if you mess up that perfect night...