Chapter 7: This is New

Awake 7

Shawn Mendes

Her head rested on my shoulder for most of the flight to New York. The rest of the way, I had put up the divider and allow her to rest her head on my lap. It was hard to resist her hair as I played with her hair for half of the plane ride. It was when the announcement came on telling the passengers about the flight arrival in a few moments and to buckle our seatbelts, I knew I had to wake Claire.

My hand reached for her shoulder and gave it a light squeeze. She stirs slowly, but I wasn't sure if she was getting up. I tried once again and she only shifted her head slightly on my lap. I smiled to myself and leaned close to her ear and said her name. She stirs slightly and I shifted back against my seat as she sat up slowly and tried to figure out what was going on. Her head turned towards me and I smile. I watched as a sheepish smile appeared on her lips before she yawned. Her eyes reopened and blinked staring at me.

"Time to wake up sleepyhead," I chuckled. She nodded as another announcement came on about our seatbelts. She leaned back in her seat and buckled her seatbelt in. We sat in silence as we began to descend. Once we landed, we were one of the few passengers on the plane to get off. I took her hand as we entered the JFK airport. Her head turned looked down towards our hands and looked up at me.

"I really like this," She said softly. We walked a good distance from where we entered the airport and waited for the guys to come out. I faced her and put my guitar down before taking her other hand. I intertwined our hands and I smiled at our hands before looking directly at her. Her green eyes looked into mine and I took a moment to look into them.

"I do also," I spoke. "How are you feeling?" I asked her carefully. I knew it may take some time for her to adjust to her parents not being around. I couldn't imagine how could be handling all of this at the moment. She squeezed one of my hands and her smile turned into a sad one. A small frown line appeared and a look of uncertainty to be looming over her now. "I'm sorry," I apologized hoping I don't upset her for bringing this up. She took a sharp breath and I realized she was squeezing my hand tighter than she did a moment ago.

"It's alright Shawn," She answered shakily. "I'm going to be alright. I just... I'm not really ready to talk out loud about them quite yet." I nod understanding and pull her towards me breaking our hand holding and held her for comfort.

"Whenever you are ready, I'm here for you Claire."

"Thank you Shawn." I continued to hold her and looked towards the gate to see the rest of the passengers walking through. In just a few minutes, the guys emerged from the gate and looked around the airport. Nash was the first to spot us and nudged the guys in my direction. They began walking towards us. I kissed the top of Claire's head and she slowly pulled away from me.

"How was the flight?" Taylor was the first approach us. The guys were just a few steps behind him.

"They were so cuddling," Jacob commented and Cameron agreed with him. I rolled my eyes playfully at him and Claire took a side step towards me. I wrapped my arms around her waist.

"Damn you two are just adorable." I noticed Nash had a small frowning expression.

"You look like you're about to cry," Nash pointed out slowly. I send him a small glare and Jacob elbowed his side.

"I'm alright Nash," Claire answered softly. "Where... are we staying?"

"We're staying at the hotel I am staying at," I spoke. "I have one more song to record in the morning."

"Andrew is here?" She smiled at the thought of having the opportunity of seeing one of her friends. I noticed the guys were beginning to make their way to where they could receive their luggage. I bent down to pick up my guitar and took her hand to intertwine with mine before we followed everyone.