Chapter 14: Home

•What other fanfic do you love that you have read?

Awake~14

Claire Johnson

I pulled into the familiar driveway that I left just a few weeks ago or a bit over a month since I've left and been in the hospital. I parked the car and turned the engine off, getting out with Shawn. I popped the trunk open so we could get our things then we made our way to the house and I unlocked the door.

I walked in and smelled a mixture of home and baking. I put my stuff down and walked into the kitchen to see Nash baking while Taylor and Cam attempting to make I think Mac & cheese and barbecue chicken. Once they notice us, I felt a small tension, because Cam's smile went flat.

"Hey guys!" Tay said and waved.

"How was the traffic?" Nash asked. Cam doesn't say anything so I turned my attention away from him.

"It was crazy getting out of the city, but other than that it was good I guess," I smiled.

"Cool." Cam looked at me and I felt nervous? Is he still mad? Shawn wrapped his arms around me.

"Can I talk to you?" Cam asked and stopped what he was doing.

"Uhh..." Shawn started.

"You too Shawn." Neither Nash or Taylor said anything.

"Yeah, I guess." Shawn took my hand as Cam walked out the kitchen and down to the basement. We both follow him and when we get down there, he has a look that my mom used to give me when I'm home past curfew. My mom...

"Before yo-" I started, but I'm cut off.

"Why in the world did you think it was a good idea for you to drive with a broken arm?" Cam asked a little harsh.

"I wanted to drive back. Cam I've driven before."

"I was worried like crazy. Do you have any idea how much I thought you'd crash?" No trust in me? Got it.

"I wouldn't have driven if I knew I was incapable Cam."

"I promised I'd take care of you Claire. It's my top priority to make sure nothing happens to you."

"So I can't drive now?"

"No." I sighed.

"Cam let her drive. She was fine driving earlier," Shawn tried to reason with him, but it doesn't work.

"How do you let your girlfriend drive? You could have drove it or you two could have taken the limo like you two were originally supposed to." As they go back and forth, I slipped into a mind of my own.

~memory~

I walked into the house after walking home from the ice cream shop, because I was craving ice cream. I walked into the living room to find my parents there. My dad holding out his news paper and my mom working on bills from the table. They both looked up at me.

"Claire, do you have any idea what time it is?" My mom asked sternly. "Where have you been?"

"I stopped by the ice cream shop," I answered softly.

"You should have called first," my dad said in the same tone as my mom.

"I'm sorry. I won't do it again." I can't really call if I don't own a phone, but I don't say that because it would only make it worse.

"Have you finish your homework?" My moms asked. I nod my head. "Then go study some more." I nod again heading up the stairs quickly before they changed their mind and took my books away. The only thing I really did for fun besides making recordings of myself singing covers was reading. But my parents don't know that.

I sigh as I reached my room and closed my door behind me. I put my bag by the bed and changed into something comfortable since I know I won't be leaving the house tonight.

~end of memory~

A few tears slipped through and I notice Cam and Shawn are arguing. Shawn is standing a lot closer to him leaving me stand alone. Thoughts of my parents came back to me and suddenly it hits me that they won't be here ever again.

"Sh-Shawn," I called out softly.