Chapter 8: Morning

Awake- 8

Claire Johnson

"Claire?" Jacob asked in a tone I could tell he was worried. I couldn't help that it hurt to think back to my mom when Shawn had mentioned what he wished he could have done in the past. I immediately thought of my mother and it saddens me a lot now with a full conscious mind and being able to comprehend what happened. I wish Shawn was there when things really turned out bad, but I am reminded of what actually happened. Suddenly, I felt my emotions hitting me and I felt upset.

"Is it alright if I go on a walk?" I asked lightly. Shawn and Jacob were exchanging glances towards each other.

"S-sure," Jacob said lightly and stared at Shawn wondering why he was not saying anything. "We'll be here if you need us." I nod before getting off the bed and making my way straight for the door. I heard a sigh from Shawn as I opened the door and walked out. I immediately began walking away from the room and towards the elevator where I remembered chairs and tables. I let out a shaky breath and reached for my phone as I walked into the elevator. Unlocking my phone, I went onto my contacts and looked through the names.

My finger hovered a name once it came into view and I clicked on the name. I think it would be nice to hear a familiar voice. The elevator door opened to the lobby and I made my way over to one of the cushioned chairs. The ringing stopped and I held my breath for a moment.

"Claire?"

"Hey J," I spoke lightly.

"Hey cousin," I heard him seeming surprised to hear from me. "How was your flight? Sam, G, mom, and I are waiting for the shuttle."

"It was good. We're currently at the hotel."

"That's good. Well... what can I do for you? I didn't think I would hear from you so soon." I heard a chuckle. My shoulders untensed slightly and I leaned back on the chair.

"Just wanted to talk to you for a little bit." I smiled slightly to myself. "Making sure you guys landed safely,"

"That is sweet of you. Yeah, we're all perfectly good."

"Are you talking to Claire?" I heard Sam from the background. Jack answers him before hearing my Aunt Jen saying hi to me. "Pass me the phone. I want to talk to her."

"She called me," my cousin scuffed. "Wait your turn."

"Bruh, my turn." I could hear muffling, a bit of laughter, then heavy breathing. I'm assuming they have just finished running. "Hi Claire," I heard Sam's voice now fully present.

"Hi Sam." Laughter escaped my lips, imaging what had just happened on their end.

"You and your cute laughter. How's it goin?"

"Everything is alright," I spoke lightly.

"What's wrong Claire?" I frown slightly. How could Sam figure out there was something going on from my end?

"Nothing?" 

"I could tell you were upset the moment I got on the phone with you. What's wrong Johnson?" Sam asked lightly on the other end.

"It's nothing really. I'm just a little bothered about a conversation I had a few minutes ago. I'll be fine."

"You sure? You and Shawn already having your first argument?"

"You could say that," I sighed. "I called to get my mind away from it Sam."

"Sorry Claire," Sam apologized. "Uh... how about we talk about... what do you want to talk about?"