Chapter 5: My Prince Charming

•When is your birthday?

Awake 5

Claire Johnson

It made sense why the boys were being slightly strange and very... giddy. I should have known Jacob being extra quiet and G coming up to me asking for my phone was a sign. The rest of the guys had led me to the crowd where he stood in the center of it all. They must have planned this and told him I'm awake.

Shawn Mendes is standing there playing his guitar. At first his focus was towards his guitar before looking up. His eyes found mine and I couldn't help, but smile as he played the tune to 'Life of the Party'. In this moment, I felt my heart racing and my only focus seemed to be on him. His hair seemed to have grown since I've last seen him, but his hair looks just as soft as I thought about the many moments I played with his hair.

My mind was telling me to walk over to me and the other part is stunned to see him here. He smiles once he realizes I'm feeling the same mutual way. He knows I'm elastic to see him here. He began taking a few steps towards me before he stopped and decided to finish the rest of the lyrics to 'Life of the Party'.

"So baby be the life of the party," he finishes. The crowd around us erupted into applause and I remember where we are. We are at the airport and Shawn Mendes was here for a few reasons. I watched as Shawn hands his guitar over to my cousin and looked towards me now nervously. Last time I saw him, he told me I had to tell him that I needed him to leave. My heart only ached every time he came into view as that night would replay in my head. I took a sharp breath as I continue to stare at him. My heart still has that aching feeling, but there was also something else allowing me to want to forgive Shawn. He is also one of the best people I've met. He brought me out of my looming thoughts of my parents.

My parents... I walked over to him before my mind can fully comprehend what I am doing. I wrap my free arm around him and carefully wrapped my arm with my cast on around him slightly while burying my head against his chest. Shawn wrapped his arms around me without hesitation. The feeling of not wanting to let go lingered.

"Shawn," I whispered quietly and I closed my eyes feeling a range of emotions. His grip around me tightened. I've missed this. His presence currently seemed to make me happier than I thought was expected. I couldn't ignore him any longer than I have been. I couldn't imagine what he was going through in the weeks I have been in the hospital. Being in his presence seemed to ease many of my painful thoughts and emotions.

"H-hey Claire," He spoke softly almost to my ear. His tone is light and I sensed the feeling he is nervous. I could feel his breath against my skin and his grip seemed to give me a reason that he has been worried for me. I couldn't help, but feel guilty for making him go through the torture of staying away. We pull away after a few moments and realize everyone is watching us. I felt a bit uncomfortable with so many eyes on us. Both Jacob and Shawn sensed my discomfort.

"How about we get your sub Claire?" Jacob spoke lightly. I looked towards him and agreed.  "We can get your food now before we have to get in line for the flight." I nod slightly as I turned back towards Shawn to see him unsure what to do.

"Let's get some sub sandwich," I smile as he nods in confusion.

"Sure... yeah. I can buy you a sandwich?"

"G has it all covered." I looked towards G to see him using my phone. He pauses what he is doing to put my phone into his pocket before looking towards me.

"Right," G nods looking towards Shawn. "You, me, Sam, J ,Claire, and Jacob can head there before we have to be at our gates," G said lightly. I come to the realization that there is the strange exchange between what had happened just weeks ago. Shawn only nodded and took a step towards me as we began walking in the direction of Subway. I walked alongside Shawn and I noticed Jacob walking ahead slightly. There was the possibility that everyone wanted me to talk to Shawn more now that he is here?