Chapter 36: Protection

•How is your week so far?

Awake ~36

Claire Johnson

"Merci beaucoup," I say. "De rien et à bien tôt." I hang up and look up to see Shawn coming with two java chip frappuccino's. He sits down next to me and I thank him.

"Were you able to get ahold of the administrator?" He asks me. I nod happily.

"I've decided I want to take the honors program and she said I can get my room key when we come to visit!"

"Claire that's great! So you've definitely decided on McGill then?"

"Yes. I for sure want to go there one hundred percent. Shawn, I don't know how I can thank you enough. This is my top first choice for college and I honestly never thought I'd be considered to be accepted there. I've been dreaming about going there and it's... It's really happening," I say with so much warmth and see Shawn smile.

"Well, I'm glad I applied for you then. I'm really glad you got in, you definitely deserve it." His phone rings, but he ignores it. We are sitting down by our gate waiting for our flight to be called. "Hey, did you want something to eat before we leave here? I can get us some fries and a sub from Subway if you want."

"That'd be great Shawn, Thank you," I smile. He gets up again leaving me with our things. After a couple of moments, my phone rings and I look down to see Cameron calling me. I sigh and answer. "Hello?"

"What do you think you are doing Claire?! Where is Shawn?" He asks in a very pissed off mood, but also freaking out. I think I may be enjoying this. I can't get into trouble, Jack, Shawn's mangers and his parents knows Shawn is with me so Cam and Taylor can't really do anything about it.

"Shawn is with me."

"And where are you?"

"Going to be boarding a plane soon."

"Are you joking me? Claire, bring Shawn back here. He has a flight back to New York City for when his family visits him. He's not supposed to fly to Nebraska."

"There has been a change. Shawn talked to his parents and we'll be staying there for a little while."

"Wait, what did you say? Are you out of your mind? You're not flying out of the U.S! Does your aunt even know about this?"

"Not yet, but it's for a good reason."

"Yeah, well if something happens, it's all your fault. Just remember that he matters to people and you don't." Suddenly I feel my mood swing change and my confidence gone. "Shawn is suppose to do great things and with you doing silly stuff like this, he won't get there."

"Cam..."

"Shawn is my best friend and I don't want him to get hurt. You're just an obstacle that we have to get through. Shawn has a future that millions of people support him in and if they knew what you're doing right now, they'll hate you."

"I'm his friend Cam."

"Not a very good one and you're a bad influence on him. Even Nash. You've made everything worse since you've woken up basically." He's taking it too far. Why would he say that? I let my phone slide out of my hand.

Shawn Mendes

I'm waiting as the worker makes a sub for Claire and I when my phone rings. It's Taylor and I sigh answer.

"Hi."

"Where the hell are you?" Taylor asks.

"The airport with Claire."

"What are you doing there?"

"I'm going to Nebraska with Claire."

"That wasn't the plan."

"It is now."

"Get your ass back here."

"You can't tell me what to do Taylor. I have my parents and managers permission to go with her so butt out."

"Stay away from Claire."

"No, you and Cam have probably done enough damage to her than I did and now I'm trying to fix it. Since you won't listen to either of us, I'm going to take care of her myself and we are not going to take anymore crap from you or Cam."

"Claire is not as important as yo-"

"Don't you dare say that to me!" I frown getting mad at him. "She is one of the most important people in my life and you know I'm in love with her. Say it to my face an-"

"Right I get it. Fine, if something happens to you, it's her fault."

"Nothing will happen to me. We'll be perfectly fine without you and Cam so go back home. We don't need you." I hang up and sigh. Our subs are done and I pay for the two. I turn around and from a distance, I see a familiar person. As they get closer...

"Shawn..." Nash says out of breath. "You guys are still here," he half smiles.

"How..."

"I took a cab. Cam and Taylor were out looking for you so I left the house and came straight here hoping you two were here."

"Oh..." I say. "You can join our little party, I guess..."

"Thanks man," he smiles and I start to lead the way back to Claire. Once we get there, I see Claire on her phone and sipping on her drink. She looks up.

"Nash?" She asks.

"Hey, don't mind if I join the adventure to Nebraska with you and Shawn right?" He asks kindly. She shakes her head and we both sit down passing food around.

•Cam and Taylor needs to stop 😑😒 How long are they going to go on like this?