Ch. 45 - Before

(Ren's POV)

Dubstep.

That's the only thing I heard.

I smiled as the memory flashed along with it.

And I was pretty sure it had only been more than a month ago.

My heart sped up as I woke.

It was at full volume. I didn't mind. And surprisingly, Yuka didn't either. She was probably just downstairs, letting me get a couple more winks of sleep. But I was awake, whether I wanted to be or not.

My stomach fluttered as I stirred, sitting up and rubbing my eyes. I looked around with a smile. After I stretched, I moved out of bed and shuffled across the room. Well, then I had to go back and turn off my music. I stepped back to the closet and went rummaging through my clothes.

I settled on a pair of jeans, black tee with a flaming-guitar-skull across the chest, and my pair of black converse. Before I left, I went to grab something else.

I sighed, picking the article up.
It was black and grey stripped beanie.
Figured I might as well take it.
I'd need it.

I chuckled at the thought. Then, I turned and exited, walking slowly downstairs. I saw Yuka at the kitchen table, eating a bowl of cereal quietly. I moved over and sat down in front of my sister. She looked up at me and swallowed.

"....are you okay?...." She murmured to me. I smiled, not happily, not reassuringly, just a smile that said I was prepared. For whatever life wanted to throw at me.

"Yeah." I replied, putting my hands on the table in front of me. I sighed, leaning down to rest my chin on the smooth surface.

"......it's still fairly early. It'll be another two and a half hours before we head to the hospital....." I stared at her. She gave a weak smile. "....you can invite Takashi.....if you want....." The thought of him made me a lot happier.

I flushed pink and nodded, sitting up. Then I stood, heading to my room to call him.

I let out a long sigh as I clicked his number.

It was going to be a very stressful day.

And despite me being prepared, I was still nervous about the surgery.

~~~

(Takashi's POV)

I stared at him. Ren's face was flushed white and nervous. I could've saw it from a mile away. Hell, I feel it as he lay against my shoulder.

He rubbed his thumbs together in his lap and I just breathed. I could almost feel the scared beating in his heart. It made me scared for him.

I moved my left arm up and around his shoulders. My cheeks went pink as he leaned deeper into me, wrapping his arms around my middle.

His house was quiet. Ren's sister had gone out to get something, so we just sat together. Alone in the deafening silence. All that could really be heard were the little creaks every few seconds that the house made. Other than that, neither of us knew what to say.

I moved a little and wrapped my right arm around his shoulders. Ren buried his face in my chest, his breathing warm. I blinked, holding him.

"...you're wearing it..." His voice broke my trail of pointless thoughts. "..h-huh?..." I murmured. "The rings." He said. I blushed. "O-oh...yeah, of course...." My heartbeat sped up. I could tell he might have been smiling.

"...hey...." I spoke, thinking aloud. He answered with a hum. "....why are there two rings?...." I asked curiously. I could hear the grin in his sweet voice. "...why do you think?...." My entire face lit up red. I hugged him tighter.

Then, Ren moved up to face me. My ears burned when our eyes met. "I love you, Takashi." He said with a blank, but loving expression. I opened my mouth to speak the same true words, but his lips on mine cut me off.

I blinked, but my eyes closed slowly after. He tilted his head to the right and pushed my lips open. Our tongues met and I just barely squeaked. He rubbed his warm tongue against mine and my cheeks tingled, as well as my chest.

Ren moved his tongue back and closed his lips, pressing them harder against mine. We both let out faint moan sounds, until Ren broke away. He moved in and hugged me close again. I did too, burying my face in his neck.

"R-Ren..." I spoke quietly, my lips moving against his skin. I traced shapes along his back shakily, feeling him shiver slightly. I smiled slightly, kissing his neck, then brushing my tongue against his warm skin. "....I love you too....." I said quietly, then licked him again. I nibbled along until I reached his jaw. I blushed hard as he began moving back a bit.

By this time, I was being pushed back against the arm of the couch. I kissed his soft cheek and smiled, leaning back down onto him.

"Takashi....I-I....." I listened as he tried to speak, his voice a little shaky. ".....I-I'm...scared......" He murmured. I hugged him tighter. "Don't be..." I tried to comfort him and ease his mind. Even a little would do.

"....you're going to be okay.....and we'll make it through this.....together.....I promise......." I finished. He sighed. "....I know, Takashi.....I can feel it, and I know it'll all be okay.....but......I don't know, I'm just.....scared of the idea of this......"

"Ren. I.....I know you're going to make it through. You're strong....in every way, but......I don't know how to comfort you more than just telling you that you'll be fine......and......I'll be right beside you when you finally get better......and I know I will.......and I know you will......."

He hugged me closer to him, kissing my cheek.

".....Takashi......I've never loved anyone as much as I love you......."

That made me feel warm.

The only thing that my heart told me to do was look deep into his eyes. I smiled, having no need for words, and kissed him for what felt like only the first time.