Ch. 21 - Phone Calls

"Alright. Thanks. I'll bring him tomorrow." I heard Yuka speak into the phone as I strode into her room again. She gave me a smile, then looked away as I placed a plate with a biscuit and eggs in front of her, on a pillow. "Wait....he what? The week? No. Well....is it optional?" She spoke to, who I was assuming was, my doctor.

I stared at her, shoving a biscuit in between my teeth. She hesitated, then nodded. "Oh, okay, great. It's his decision....got it." I raised an eyebrow as Yuka scooted over to her plate. "Alright, got it. Tomorrow at ten o'clock. Thank you." Then, she hung up.

"What was that about?" I asked, hopping on the end of the bed. Yuka nearly spilled her plate, and I just laughed, chewing my bread. She gave me a look, picking up her biscuit. "Well....the doctor said that I should bring you up to the hospital tomorrow to start your chemotherapy. He says that your brain--.....problem....is minor, so it'll be easier to deal, er, cope with. I guess...." I stared as she continued.

"Although.....you'll....probably have to go through surgery, or radiation.....but I'm not telling you so that you'll be worried. I only want to prepare you." She smiled. "So don't be mad if you have to shave all that luscious hair off." I laughed, petting my own hair. "God, that'd be awful....but, I've got enough beenies....just in case."

We both chuckled, despite how nervous I was, and looked. I gave her a reassuring smile. "It's okay, though. I know we'll get through all of this. Okay, sis?" She nodded. Nearly choking on her own food, she spoke again. "Oh! Also.....he told me that you could choose whether you wanted to skip school or not....but if you did, you'd have to stay with me at the hospital for more frequent treatments. Okay? It's up to you, though...."

I hummed in thought. Well, that actually was a pretty easy answer. If I was at the hospital all the time, I wouldn't get to see Takashi much....but if I was, I'd skip boring classes........

"I....think I'll just suffer through school instead, Yuka." I blurted, nearly punching myself for not thinking it over much. She gave me a surprised look. "Oh? Seriously?....oh, I get it. Okay. Whatever you say, Ren. But we'll still have to spend most of our time at the hospital, got it?" I rolled my eyes, but nodded.

~~~

"Hello?" Came the familiar voice at the other line. I smiled faintly, leaning back on my bed. "Hey, Takashi." I sighed. "Hi....is.....everything alright, Ren?..." I smiled wider. "It's fine, for now. I talked to Yuka about the appointment we're going to tomorrow....it's at, like, ten. Anyway, what's up?" He hesitated.

"My mom left about an hour ago. I've just been sitting here....worried about you......" My heart jumped, warming up. "....you're too sweet, Takashi. I....." I blushed hard, mentally slapping myself.

No! I can't say that over the phone! I need it to be in person, to make it more special.....

I cleared my throat. "....uhm. H-hey, do you, maybe, want to come with us? You don't have to, since you've got scho--" "Yeah, I'll go." He cut me off. "I have to make sure they aren't jerks to you, anyway...." We chuckled. My face was lit red.

"....alright then. Should I tell Yuka to pick you up in the morning? We could hang out here before then, I guess...."

I could just sense the blush on Takashi's face as he answered me, stuttering badly.

"W-why don't I j-just....c-come over f-for the night.....s-so y-you don't have to....w-worry about it......" I smiled brightly at his words. Oh, yeah. No way I'd say no to that voice.

"Yeah, okay! That'll be great! Should--?" "I'll just....walk, Ren. Don't worry about it....." I chuckled. "Alright, then. I'll see you soon, Takashi."

With that, we said our goodbyes and hung up.