Ch. 41 - Final Decision

"Ren! Don't forget your hoodie, you dumdum!" I heard Yuka call as I was about to leave. I face palmed and turned around. I hurried to grab my dark pullover and slipped into it, holding my long sleeves as I did this.

Yuka stepped into the room from the living room, smiling at me. I grinned, flipping up my hood. She put a hand on my shoulder after getting her purse. "Ren....I have to know what you want to do soon......make the choice today. I'll side with whatever you choose. Okay?" I nodded, my smile fading a bit.

"Don't worry." She pat my back. "Everything'll work out." I smiled reassuringly and we both stepped out into the chilly air. We headed over and got into the car, buckling up. I snuggled to myself, breathing heavily and rubbing my palms together. Then we were off for the school.

Another week went by normally. I had been talking to Takashi a lot more, and secretly, I knew he was happy about my not being able to talk to Keita.

Keita avoided me, on one hand. Each time I tried to talk to him, he'd scamper off. It bugged me, and I didn't know why. I didn't care, though. I'd talk to the boy in time.

At the moment, I was pondering a lot of things that made me nervous. The biggest one was whether I wanted to have the surgery, or not. I'd stalled, up until the end of September. It was the beginning of October, and the doctors needed an answer soon.

Also, being the beginning of October, the dance was coming up. My heart fluttered each time I imagined it. And today, I was planning on asking Takashi to go. It was nerve racking just imagining myself doing it. Mostly because I didn't have anything fancy to do while asking, but I did have one thing. It was a little gift in a tiny box. It sat in the top of my backpack neatly inside. I was shaking.

But then....all at the same time.....I was ready to kill Juro. The next time I saw him, I'd pay him back for hurting my Takashi. He'd regret it.

Then, I heard Yuka chuckle, pulling me from my thoughts.

"You nervous?..." She asked with curiosity. I flushed, looking at her, then out my window. "...kinda...." I murmured a response. She laughed again. "Don't be. Everything-" "Yuka, I want to do the surgery." I interrupted her. She nearly choked. "W-whAt?!" I smiled weakly. "I want to have surgery. There's my answer." I confirmed.

"A-are you serious?!" Yuka asked with disbelief. I nodded, giving a laugh. "Yes. Don't make me say it again....I want to do it so I can get better. And so everyone else.....can get better....." I looked at my sister, who was smiling and nearly crying. "Y-Yuka!" I said aloud and she just laughed. "I'm fine, fine....well.....I'll make the call when we get home......y-you just......have a great day, alright?" By now, a few tears were falling down her cheeks. I stared at her as we parked, clutching my book bag's strap as I unbuckled.

"Yuka, d-don't cry!" I said, but stopped as she leaned across to my seat and hugged me. I shakily hugged her back. Yuka let out a little sob. "I-I love you, Ren.....I-I'm sorry for....a-all that's happened and for what you've had to go through......I know it's hard....." I smiled, moving back. "It's okay! Really! I....I love you too, sis.....it's not all your fault, so.....don't worry. I know it's all gonna get better....." I laughed. "But we'll be late to class, so.....we should go." She laughed too, wiping her tears and nodding.

After we said our goodbyes, we parted.

I made my way to class, where I saw Keita.

And this time, he was the one to confront me.