Ch. 3 - School...

The bell chimed a third time as the two of us stepped back outside. I went first, and Takashi trailed behind. I waddled over to my bike and grasped the handles. I steered it back, but stopped when I felt something poke my right shoulder. I turned my head to Takashi. "Hmm?" He met my eyes, then looked away. "Umm....no, nothing. Never mind...." I propped my bike back up and turned. "What? Something wrong?..." He kept his eyes on the ground. "....er.....it's stupid. Just forget it...." I looked at him funny. "That's okay....I say a lot of stupid stuff. Just tell me....please?" I waited. I kept my eyes on him, then he looked up. Takashi's face turned red and he opened his mouth. "I'm sorry! I have to go now!!" He blurted out awkwardly. My eyes widened in surprise and he turned and bolted away, down the street. I stood there, dumbfounded again. "....uuhhh....." I mumbled to myself. That was strange. He didn't really seem like the type of person to do that.....odd. A few minutes later, when he disappeared from my sights, I turned and grabbed my bike again, then hopped on and took off.
~~~
A few moments of randomly riding down the road, I remembered what I had planned on doing. "Oh!" I shouted, reminding myself. I pulled over onto the sidewalk and pulled my phone from my hoodie pocket. I turned it on and clicked my sister's contact. I sent a quick text that said; *Hey, Yuka...did you hear about the three hour delay today? XD haha I forgot about that!...*
Then, I checked the time. 8:48. Cool. I've got like....an hour or two left? Just as I was about to get back on my bike, I felt my phone vibrate. I got it back out of my pocket and saw that I had a text. From Yuka. I opened it and it read; *....yes....I remembered when you left. -_-# ...*
I huffed and replied swiftly.
*>:0 well then why didn't you remind me?!*
A second later she texted back.
*:P hahaha cause I didn't feel like it.*

I rolled my eyes and turned off my phone, shoving it back into my pocket. I got back on my bike and began peddling again. I didn't really have anywhere specific to go, so I just kept riding. And thinking. 'Hmm...I wonder what Takashi is up to now. He just....ran off for some reason. I don't have the slightest idea why. Did I say something?....meh. I guess if I see him in school today I can ask.....' I kept thinking until I was interrupted by my phone again. It rang loudly, like the bell at our school. I swear, I almost fell off my bike. I pulled over again, and noticed that I was on the street nearest to the school. I pulled it out and saw that I had another text from Yuka. I opened it.
*..hey, where are you? It's like, 9:57, and lots of people are already heading to school....you know you can't ditch today...*
I sighed and texted back.
*Yeah, yeah, I'm on my way right now. See you at home later....byee.*
I put my phone back and rode away, toward the high school.
~~~
I parked my bike, away from people of course, and hurried for the front steps. There was a crowd there, but I pushed through and ignored them. I walked into the school and saw many people and teachers talking. I wanted nothing to do with them, so I headed down the hall. I was planning on going to the restroom, because I normally just sit there by the water fountain until the bell rings. I rounded the corner slowly, but froze when I heard voices. "What are yah gonna do, huh? Are you going to say anything?! Huh?!" I didn't move. I pressed my back against the wall and listened. Someone was most likely being bullied...it's awful here at my school. I heard someone get shoved, then I heard more talking. "...come on. I know you wanna talk. Come on, fag!! Say something!!" My stomach churned for whoever was getting pushed around. I then heard something being pulled at, then a loud smash against the ground. I jumped in surprise. I heard someone gasp. "...m-my camera!!...." My eyes went wide at the voice. Takashi.... I instantly went into my odd protective mode and turned that corner. I came face to face with two boys. Takashi, and another boy I'd seen around, but didn't know. He was pushing Takashi against the wall hard by his shoulders, and I saw many pieces of broken camera by my feet. I stared, shocked at the sight. The one boy hadn't noticed me, but Takashi stared at me with wide, scared eyes. Tears fell down his cheeks and chin. He sobbed and I clenched my teeth together. That's it. I bolted forth and slammed into the bully with my full force. He released Takashi, and the both of us fell on the floor, me on top of him. Takashi stumbled back and continued to sob openly. The bully glared at me with wide, surprised eyes. I was snarling at him. "DON'T YOU EVER TOUCH HIM AGAIN, YOU PIECE OF SHIT!!!!!" I raised a fist and rammed it into his jaw. He wailed, and my heart thumped with anger-powered adrenaline. I moved away, shoving him onto the ground to stay. Glad no teachers were around there. The bully held his cheek and jaw, staring at me with a scared look. I was glad that I was a little stronger than him, or I would've been beaten in two. He struggled to stand and hurried away, down the hall. I knew he was thinking twice about tattling on me. But I didn't care either way. It's Friday.....that's good. I looked back at Takashi. He had stopped crying, but had wide eyes and tear-stained wet cheeks. "A-Are you okay, Takashi??" I asked, concerned, yet proud of myself. He held his sides. His lips were parted slightly and he stared at me. I moved closer. "....Takashi?!" Suddenly, he moved forth and wrapped his arms around me. My eyes widened and his shoulders shook as he began to sob again. He buried his face in my neck and breathed heavily. I heard the bell ring, but I didn't flinch.

I don't know why I did it....I just felt like I had to help him.....even though we just met. It doesn't matter. He's my friend now.....I don't want him to get hurt.

"....Takashi....." I whispered, holding him back. His cries were quiet, but they got softer. Then, when he stopped crying, he pushed away. His eyes were now wide again. "I'm sorry! I didn't mean for you to see that....and I didn't mean to make things strange...." "Stop apologizing! You didn't do anything wrong, Takashi. That asshole did something wrong...and he ruined your camera. I'll kill him if he does this again...." Takashi stared at me, a strange, confused look on his face. "Ren....why do you even care about me?...." I hesitated, my face tired and flushed. "I....I don't know. I just do, so deal with it. I don't want anyone hurting you again. D-did he hurt you?..." Takashi blushed and held his sides again. "...not really...." He sighed. By now, to me, he was speaking in a normal tone. "...I'm sorry. Thank you. Really, I mean it. I don't know what I would've done just then......without you......" I stepped up to him again, now hoping to get another answer.