- chapter 23 -

| Elise |

She flopped backward onto her canopy bed, comforter poofing around her.

Sitting up, she rummaged through her duffle bag for something more comfortable to change into, and ops for a pair of soft leggings and long t-shirt. She pulled her hair out of its teased ponytail as she trotted down the stairs.

"You're ditching me?" Amanda whined as Elise entered the kitchen.

"C'mon Amanda, we both know you're not going to stick around long once we get to the club, anyway."

"Still." She pouted, "Don't you want to experience the NYC nightlife?" She asked, and pointed her question at Elise.

"Er, I think I'm good, you have fun though!"

Amanda huffed, walked out of the kitchen, and stomped up the stairs, "Party poopers."

"I'm pleasantly surprised." Elliot said to her, arms crossed in front of him as he leaned casually against the island.

"And why is that?" Elise asked, walking towards him.

A playful smile played across his lips, "I took you for a party girl, you know, the kind that likes to go out and have a wild night."

"The sarcasm is basically running out of your ears, Elliot." She said, laughing.

Elliot gazed down at her.. He is about to answer when the sound of Amanda's heels clicking down the stairs announced her arrival, "Last chance." She said, halting in the doorway.

"I think we're good." Elliot said, and looked at Elise for confirmation, she noded.

"Suit yourself, then." Amanda sniffed, and closed the door behind her.

"Finally." Elliot let out a sigh, "now I can cook."

"What did you have in mind?" Elise asked curiously as he maneuvered around the sleek kitchen.

"Oh, now Elise, that is going to be a surprise." He said, pointing a spatula at her, she laughed and sat on a stool, "Oh come on, there has to be something I can do."

"There is," He said, tying a frilly pink apron around his dark t-shirt clad torso, "Tell me a little more about yourself, your hopes, dreams, and worries."

"Oh," Elise said softly, and looked down at her hands, "I'm not sure that is such a good idea."

"Why not?"

"Because, I'm really not that interesting?" She replied while squeezing her eyes closed, but it sounded more like a question.

"Nonsense, I don't believe that for a second."

"Well I wouldn't know where to start." She said, making an obvious attempt to avoid the topic.

"Elise," Elliot said, as he walked forward and took her hands in his, "You can trust me." His eyes were smouldering and her hands tingled from his contact, "Fine."

He grinned at her encouragingly, and returned to rummaging through the fridge. "Well," Elise began, "I, um, my favourite colour is blue, I'm absolute rubbish at any and all sports, I am a perfectionist to it's absolute definition and, up until a few months ago I wanted to do something in medicine."

"Why did you change your mind?"

"It's wasn't exactly my decision, Harvard made it for me."

"I don't understand." Elliot said, and turned away from the stove to face her.

Cheeks burning Elise answered, "I was rejected."

"But surely that wasn't the only thing that changed your mind." He said, as he wiped his hands on a dishtowel and took a seat beside her.

"It was, can we, can we please change the subject?" She asked, tersely.

He looked into her eyes for a second, then nodded, "Alright, you can set the table then."

***

"Wow, this is fantastic Elliot!" Elise said, savouring the taste of chicken and herbs. The glass table was set with silverware that looked like it belonged in a 5 star restaurant - she prayed her clumsiness wouldn't come into effect anytime soon.

"Now you seem surprised." He teased and she laughed, "I'll be honest, I didn't take you for the cooking type."

He feigned a look of offence, "I'm thoroughly hurt."

"I'm sorry." Elise replied, playfully batting her eyelashes and he grinned, "So," he began, "I know you don't want to talk about it, but I'm still curious, you gave up on your dream after the rejection from Harvard?"

"When you say it like that it makes me sound pathetic, I know." Elise said and she felt tears well up behind her eyes as she speared a baby carrot with her fork, "It's just, I worked so hard, you know? I threw all of my hours of each day to do well in school, I didn't have a social life, I didn't talk to anyone, except Adam, I gave up painting, went to summer camps, I did everything, everything I could have possibly done and I was rejected - it was a sign, I'm sure of it."

"A sign of what?" Elliot asked, confusion lacing his features.

"That- that I'm not good enough," She sighed, laying down her utensils, "that I'm not cut out for an Ivy league school, that I'm not-"

"Hush, Elise, don't say that about yourself." He said and laid a hand on hers, "Please, you don't understand how capable and special you are."

"But-but you don't know that, Elliot, you barely know me." She said as tears threatened to escape her eyes. She pulled her hand away.

"I don't need a perfect GPA to know that you're special, far more special than you give yourself credit for, Elise."

She forced a smile, and sincerely wished nothing more than to be able to believe what he said was true.